New Par EndfedZ Antenna.

Started by gil, July 28, 2015, 12:21:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gil

Awesome! I definitely need one for my new MTR-5B. They will presumably work on 15m as well. So, I can cover five bands with two antennas (one for 80m).

QuoteLNR Precision is excited to announce a new antenna to our product line! The new EF-MTR is a 20M/30M/40M tri-band QRP antenna rated up to 25W. The "MTR" name was selected as we developed this antenna to be the perfect companion to the wildly popular Mountain Topper QRP transceiver. The EF-MTR's total length is 65′ of 22g polystealth wire and weighs less than 4 OZ!  It is built with the same high level of workmanship and quality that you have come to expect with all LNR antennas. As our tagline states, "They Just Work!" The price will be $80 and we plan to have this antenna on the market before 8/1/15.

Gil.

cockpitbob

Gil, can you find the manual?  I can't, but reading the description it seems the antenna will do 20/40 or by removing far end piece of radiator wire it will work on 30M.  So you need to pull it down to re-configure between 20/40 and 30. 

As usual with LNR, it looks beautifully made.

I finished my 40/30/20 trap EFHW a month ago and am trying to find the time to write it up and post it.  I even made spare traps that I'm gong to Karma here when panics at work and daddy-duties lighten up.

gil

QuoteSo you need to pull it down to re-configure between 20/40 and 30.

Ah, well, that's a bit of a bummer.. I might as well have two antennas up then...

Gil.

cockpitbob

Quote from: gil on July 29, 2015, 01:51:23 PM
QuoteSo you need to pull it down to re-configure between 20/40 and 30.

Ah, well, that's a bit of a bummer.. I might as well have two antennas up then...

Gil.
I'm hoping I read that wrong which is why I was hoping their user manual was on the site but I couldn't find it.

EDIT:
My Google fu got better after lunch.  The manual is here.  You do have to lower it to change between 40/20 and 30 operation.

Looking at the total length (64' 10") and the length of the wire to the coupler (42'  8") I think there's no trap or coil in the bulb between the wires.  All that's going on is either connecting or disconnecting the upper piece of wire to the lower piece of wire with an SMA shorting plug in the bulb.  Super simple, but anyone can do that with a clip, banana plug or switch in the right location of the wires.

Leeshearer

Has anyone tried this antenna and can it be used without a tuner?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cockpitbob

I haven't tried it, but I know the design and have made similar antennas.  No tuner is needed.  The wire length makes it resonant on those 3 bands (removing the connector from the thing in the middle disconnects the upper wire leaving the lower section who's length is resonant at 30)  and the coupler transforms its high impedance down to 50.  EFHW antennas work great and LNR's build quality it top notch.