The Solarcon I-Max2000 CB Antenna.

Started by gil, June 26, 2012, 09:02:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gil

Hello,

I thought I'd drop a note here about my Solarcon I-Max2000 CB antenna.. I was initially going to buy the A-99, but some bad reviews made me choose the longer (24'), better built model. The I-Max2000 mind you is not much more than a wire in a fiberglass pole. You can actually hear the wire rattle inside the tube. The magic is in the matching unit at the base. Although it can be used without a counterpoise, it does work better with one. I suspect the antenna to be sort of an end-fed dipole, though it is a 0.64 wavelength.. I am no expert.. I also suspect that the coax shield works as a counterpoise when a suitable one isn't present. That is why I use it with ferrite chokes on the coax at the antenna.. But enough techno-babble..

I've had very good results with this antenna. "NVIS." NVIS is when a signal is directed straight up and bounces on the ionosphere back down, covering a few hundred-mile radius. This is different from the usual low angle, long-skip pattern desired in multi-thousand-mile contacts. The radiation pattern of the I-Max is pretty vertical.. However, I do not think NVIS is possible on the 11m CB band.

My first two contacts were, unbeknownst to me, Jamaica and Western Utah. I thought these guys were local until they told me their location! They sounded that good, and they heard me just fine. I was using legal power on LSB. Even with the high angle of radiation of the I-Max, the signal was skipping off the ionosphere.

I like the light weight of the antenna and it's fiberglass construction. It is made of three 8ft. sections bolted together. It is very flexible and holds up fine in windy conditions. I did paint it dark green, and with the trees around the house, it is nearly invisible. It is also pretty cheap, which is the cherry on top of the cake.

I do highly recommend it. I have heard it can also be used on 10 to 17m with a tuner.. See the Eham reviews. Users rate it 4.5/5.

Paul

Both the 'A99' and the Imax antennas are single band antennas with a built in impedance matching device (the rings) at the base.  The 'A99' is a 1/2 wave antenna, the Imax is a 5/8 wave, both were originally designed for 11 meters.  Because of the impedance matching built in, both can be 'skootched' to close bands without much trouble.  They can also be made to 'work' on bands as far away fron the design frequency as 20 meters.  That doesn't mean that they will work well, but they will work.  How far they can be moved depends on the tuner used and the setting of the built-in matching device (rings).  There are some combinations of those two 'tuners' settings that result in it not working at all.
Most of the 'reviews' of both of these antennas are purely 'subjective' and very seldom ever 'objective'.  (And like any antenna, there are going to be 'lemons'.) 
One thing about both of them is that the feed line is used as the 'other half' of the antenna, or the counterpoise.  How and were the feed line is run can and will make a difference in how they perform.  Typically, adding a "groundplane" or counterpoise to either of them isn't going to do much of benefit since there's already one there.  It usually doesn't hurt anything, but it seldom helps it either.  If you want to try one, do so.
Both the 'A99' and the Imax are sort of the 'standard' antennas for 11 meters.  There's certainly a lot of them in use.  The typical gain figures quoted for either of them are what is spread on a garden to make things grow better.  The Imax does have some slight gain, but not very much at all.  Why'z that?  Because 'gain' figures are determined by reference to a standard antenna, which is a 1/2 wave length.  Since the 'A99' is a 1/2 wave length, how can it have gain over a 1/2 wave length antenna?  A 5/8 wave antenna typically has something like 1.5 - 2 dBd of gain over a 1/2 wave.  The biggy is the shape of the radiation patterns!, which can make a big difference at times.
Lot's of 'myths' concerning both the 'A99' and Imax antennas...
- Paul

gil

Thanks Paul, nothing magical here I am sure. I have been reading numerous antenna reviews on Eham, and indeed, lots of them seems to be based on feelings rather than hard facts. There are always a couple reviews though by Hams who know their antennas, that provide valuable information. Eham does help. When I wanted an end-fed dipole, I saw that the PAR had a 5.0 rating, with 23 pages of reviews! There had to be something there.. So I bought one, and like it.

I might try one quarter wave counterpoise with the I-Max, just as an experiment.. Otherwise, it works, so I won't bother.. I almost never use my CB anyway. It's just an emergency radio, just in case. Sometimes I put the I-Max up and listen, but I'd rather listen to 20 and 40m. Even on 38LSB, CB is not so "civilized."

Have a great day,

Gil.

Lamewolf

The radiation angle on the A99 and the Imax is a low angle - around 15 to 20 degrees shooting toward the horizon which does well on skip,  For NVIS work you need a low horizontal antenna and low frequency like 40 & 80 meters, not 10 and 11 meters.

IT Tech

I'm sorry Gil, but you are talking in circles.

10 meters is upper side band only.

11 meters - there is no such thing as full legal power.. CB only allows for 5 watts AM - with a tube type transmitter and brand new tubes, or 12 watts PEP Single Side Band.

The Solorcon A99 and Antron, Anttron, and Imax are all basically the same antenna.
The company was sold several times and there was patent issues that made them change their name.

The antenna works on the principal of having a portion of a wavelength over another portion of a wavelength.  The two portions equals some type of gain over a dipole antenna - which is a known radiation pattern and performance - so we use the dipole to measure other types of antenna.

No Vertical antenna can exhibit true gain due to the fact that the only way to create real gain is to cause rejection in one direction which pushes the remaining power in the opposite direction, and when you cause rejection in one direction you reduce multipath which causes the remaining signal to have a better spectral purity.  A multipath signal is corrupt.

The coax has but one job, to transfer the power from point A to point B - like a garden hose it is just a conductor.  When you make the shield reactive, you defeat the purpose of the coax.  The waY TO reduce the current on the shield is to coil about 20 turns of RG 8X in a 12 inch coil which will create a choke.
I have noticed lot's of RF being reflected back into my shack with this antenna.

The IMAX should have the option of using 4 counterpoises, at a 45* angle, that can take the place of multiple ground radials.  The counterpoise is mounted directly below the antenna within about a foot.
I think the counterpoises are at least 9 feet long, and the antenna requirement is at least 30' - preferably 36 feet minimum.

With a good tuner, you can tune a salty wet noodle up on any band, but making it effective it has to be a portion of a wavelength long beyond a half a wave length.  It does no good to be able to transmit if it won't receive you won't hear anything other then the very strongest signals.

On 17 meters with my Kenwood TS 590 - my input is about 100 watts and the output after the internal antenna tuner is about 15 watts.
15 watts will talk half way around the world when the band is open and won't talk across the street when the band is not open.

The Solorcon A99 works acceptably well on 15 meters.

12 meters is in the same category as 17.   Because it is not a harmonic of anything, the antenna is not resonant and the transceiver folds back the power to about 15 watts.

I have talked to South America with 15 watts many times on the Solorcon...

One way to improve the Solorcon A99 is to use a mobile whip in place of the top section of antenna.

You can cut the mobile whip to a specific length which helps tune it much better then the ring on the bottom.

gil

Quote10 meters is upper side band only.

Where did I mention 10m? Besides, you can use any mode you want on 10m, USB is a guideline, not a rule.
When mentioning LSB I was talking about CB channel 38 LSB which is a DX calling channel for CB. Nothing to do with 10m.

Quote11 meters - there is no such thing as full legal power..

Of course there is, it's just not 1500W like Ham radio, it's 4W AM and 12W SSB. That's full legal power for CB.
FCC regulations say nothing about 5W with tubes that I know of. That might have been an older regulation when tube CBs were still being sold.
My Galaxy DX 579 outputs 4W AM. That is the full legal limit.

QuoteNo Vertical antenna can exhibit true gain

Gain is always comparing one antenna to another, whether it's between a hypothetical isotropic ideal antenna in free space (dbi), a standard dipole (dbd), a quarter wave ground plane vertical (dbq), or between any two antennas of different type. So a vertical antenna can absolutely exhibit gain. It all depends on which other antenna you compare it to.

So, no, I'm not talking in circles.

Have a great day,

Gil.

Lamewolf

QuoteNo Vertical antenna can exhibit true gain

QuoteGain is always comparing one antenna to another, whether it's between a hypothetical isotropic ideal antenna in free space (dbi), a standard dipole (dbd), a quarter wave ground plane vertical (dbq), or between any two antennas of different type. So a vertical antenna can absolutely exhibit gain. It all depends on which other antenna you compare it to.

So, no, I'm not talking in circles.

Have a great day,

Gil.

Gain is really about concentration of radiation in a particular direction like toward the horizon verses higher up toward the sky, or north, south, east, or west.  Antennas with little or no gain exhibit radiation patterns shaped somewhat like a ball with power going out equally in all directions, but antennas with gain have sharper patterns where radiation is highest where the pattern is concentrated like a beam antenna where the pattern goes mainly in one direction.  A vertical antenna is mainly Omni directional with patterns that are basically equal 360 degrees around it but if the antenna is long enough it can have gain which concentrates the pattern at low angles toward the horizon which is good for working DX and the Imaxx 2000 is this type of antenna.  Its radiation pattern is Omni directional but at a low 15  to 20 degrees toward the horizon making it good for DX.  The Imaxx 2000 is not an NVIS type antenna, NVIS requires signals basically radiated straight up, not toward the horizon.

Lamewolf

Quote from: Paul on June 27, 2012, 02:42:37 AM
Since the 'A99' is a 1/2 wave length, how can it have gain over a 1/2 wave length antenna?  A 5/8 wave antenna typically has something like 1.5 - 2 dBd of gain over a 1/2 wave.  The biggy is the shape of the radiation patterns!, which can make a big difference at times.
- Paul

The info on the A99 states that it is a "half wave over a quarter wave" and I've always just thought that's nothing more than a 3/4 wave antenna !  ::)

KK0G

Quote from: Lamewolf on December 02, 2014, 08:07:00 AM
Quote from: Paul on June 27, 2012, 02:42:37 AM
Since the 'A99' is a 1/2 wave length, how can it have gain over a 1/2 wave length antenna?  A 5/8 wave antenna typically has something like 1.5 - 2 dBd of gain over a 1/2 wave.  The biggy is the shape of the radiation patterns!, which can make a big difference at times.
- Paul

The info on the A99 states that it is a "half wave over a quarter wave" and I've always just thought that's nothing more than a 3/4 wave antenna !  ::)
Marketing at it's finest ;D
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety" - Benjamin Franklin

KK0G

Luigi

Gill,
Have you tested it with 10 and 12 meters? I am interested in test results if you have them.
I can only tx / rx  from 40-15 meters because I am using a mag loop. Adding 10/12 would be nice.
Luigi

Lamewolf

Quote from: Luigi on December 02, 2014, 02:31:24 PM
Gill,
Have you tested it with 10 and 12 meters? I am interested in test results if you have them.
I can only tx / rx  from 40-15 meters because I am using a mag loop. Adding 10/12 would be nice.
Luigi

Want some good info on the Imax 2000, check out this website: http://www.k3dav.com/solarconimax2000antenna.htm

Its a good writeup and shows that it works 10 thru 17 meters !

Luigi

Thank you for the link. This is perfect.
Based on the information, You can listen to wwv on 20 MHz. The SWR is really low there.
Luigi

Lamewolf

Quote from: Luigi on December 02, 2014, 05:01:53 PM
Thank you for the link. This is perfect.
Based on the information, You can listen to wwv on 20 MHz. The SWR is really low there.
Luigi

I ordered an Imax 2000 on Saturday and its scheduled for delivery on Thursday, so as soon as I get it installed I will put it on the antenna analyzer and take some SWR readings on the various bands.  I have an old A99 up now and have used it on 20 meters before via a tuner and it worked fairly well, but not as good as my 40 meter extended double zepp.  But I can hardly wait to play with the Imax 2000, looks like it will play 10 thru 17 without a tuner and I noticed the swr should be well within the range of most autotuners on 30 meters too.  On 30 meters it's basically a quarter wave long !

Also, the A99 when I first got it the manual said you can cut the top setion off a little at a time to make it resonant on 10 meters.  With my A99 I did not have to cut it at all and only adjusted the tuning rings slightly to get a good match and was able to work 10, 12, and 15 meters on it without a tuner.  I'm also reading that you can do the same with the Imax 2000.  So if you folks get one, don't cut it down any until you check it out first - you may not need to cut it.

Lamewolf

My Imax 2000 arrived a day early !  Gonna give it a shot of olive drab camo paint and then try to install it tomorrow evening and will get some swr measurements on it then to post here.  Then I'll give it a workout this weekend on the air and see how it performs.