Greywolf69's Intro thread

Started by Greywolf69, July 17, 2015, 04:40:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greywolf69

Hello there, just a quick intro so you know I'm not a bot/spammer/lurker.

I'm Brit based in East Yorkshire, England, UK.

I found my way here via a google-fu for BaoFeng UV-5R. Also I'm an urban prepper. Looking at a Bug-in scenario rather than B/O, there simply isn't the wilderness to vanish into if TS does HTF and we have to face TEOTWAWKI.

I'm a member of a UK prepper board, but I was looking for a dedicated comms board. If anyone is interested I can share the link to the other board on a NTK basis.

I have only just started to look at comms and my lack of any preps in this area, so I have bought a couple of UV 5R's plus accessories from the online shop named after a huge river. Not bad reviews and a good price for entry level comms.
I'm about to embark on getting my ticket, here in the UK the starter level is the Foundation Licence, from the sound of things it's similar to the Tech-ticket you have over the pond.

My AO is a city, so I want as much of a heads-up as to problems as I can, radio comms seems to be the best suit for that wedding.

Open to Q&A but as usual for boards on these sort of topics I reserve the right to be non-specific for personal details.

GW

cockpitbob

Hi Greywolf.  Welcome to the board!
I never thought much about how other countries handle licensing so I just did a little reading on the Foundation license.  Yup, sounds like it is handled in a very similar way to how we do it here in the Colonies:  test administered by designated Hams, 3 levels of license, etc.

You're doing the right thing adding comms to your prepping.  There's few things more important than information, which is why when a battle starts the first thing you do is cut off the other guy's communications.

Watch out for Ham radio though.  It isn't a hobby.  It's 100 hobbies and can pull you in pretty deep if you don't have a lot of restraint.  I got my ticket on something of a whim, not thinking I'd get very deep into it.  But now I've built a bunch of kits, antennas and other gear.  I've worked volunteer comms for the Boston Marathon and other events.  I've talked to hams off the ham satellites (something you can do with the UV-5r and a $100 hand-held Yagi antenna.).  I've learned Morse code and am starting to dabble in digital modes (email over HF radio with no internet on my end).  Sadly, I don't see any end in sight for me ;) .

Greywolf69

Doomed, we're all doomed lol
I did a diploma in marine rad comms back in the 80's (valves... Yummy) so I have an idea of what I'm letting myself in for <grin>

RichardSinFWTX

Welcome to the group, GreyWolf!  Pull up a chair!

Jim Boswell

Greywolf, Welcome to the group. Gil runs a good show, lots of ideas are exchanged and we all come to the table with different issues. Myself, I work at the VLA and live in the badlands of New Mexico, that must be the total opposite from your  environment. Do you have "Prepper Shows" in the UK? Most of the shows in the USA just try to sell food and gear, when they should be teaching bushcraft. I think too many US preppers think they will solve all their problems with firearms. When SHTF, a preppers ability to blend-it and pass unnoticed will be a major factor.
     Besides the US Army survivor manuals I also have a 1970's Boy Scout handbook, lots of good basic info. An prepper should have a good scanner and a short wave receiver. The scanner tells you what is going on local, the shortwave gives you info from a 2nd source. There are times I just don't trust the major US news groups.
     I have worked in electronics for over 38 years. Working in electronics sure ruins a good hobby, sometimes when I get home in the evening the last thing I want to go is work on radios. I buy and repair HF radios. I really like the older TenTec rigs. My comm backpack has a Icom 703 and antennas. I use 2 12v 7AH gel cells to power the rig. I also carry an Icom V-80 2meter HT.

cockpitbob

Quote from: Jim Boswell on July 17, 2015, 01:46:07 PMThere are times I just don't trust the major US news groups.
That implies there are time when you do trust the main stream media

gil

QuoteIt isn't a hobby.  It's 100 hobbies

I think you nailed it Bob!

I can't really imagine prepping in Europe.. There is indeed pretty much nowhere to go. If I lived there, my preparations would mostly be about getting out before things even started. I'd make sure to own an airplane or sailboat, the later being a bit more discreet.. If I couldn't afford either, I'd try to live in a small town. Small towns in Europe though are never far from large metropoles.

Welcome aboard Greywolf (it's Graywolf here ;D ).

Gil.

Greywolf69

Thanks Gil, yeah here in Europe we're pretty much scr.... In trouble if tshtf, but we do prep. It's a different approach with bug in and defend being the order of the day. Being the grey man, blend in, make no show of what you do or what you have.

Joe

Welcome aboard Greywolf !!   Being a Grey Man is a art in itself, blending in, knowing who to talk to, and getting supplies in without raising suspicion of nosy neighbors. Coms will be a big asset for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Greywolf69

The trick to grey is to have a little colour, be the eccentric. Wear a kilt, fly kites, etc. Have a hobby that is a little off the wall. That way anything you do buy won't stand out as odd. This is especially true in the side by side housing in cities. Odd is the new grey 😉

Greywolf69

Firstly an apology for being away so long. Relationship collapse and moving home to an apartment made it difficult to stay online.
Currently using cellphone comms to keep up with the UK forum I'm involved with. Everything else has been put on the back burner.

I got my Foundation License, so now the proud owner of a shiny new callsign. M6GHY, if you hear me say hello but it won't be until I get a HF set obviously, the 2m handy won't reach you in the States.
Until I get chance to log in again, stay safe and keep up the good work

GW.