Well, things didn't go exactly as planned.

Started by gil, December 23, 2015, 04:55:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gil

Hello everyone,

I am back in France. No new sightings of the boat. A lot of people are looking on the East Coast. I hadn't seen my parents in four years, it was time for a visit. I do not know how long I will stay here, depending on what happens next and if Dagny is recovered.

I looked into the French amateur radio licence. Class 1 is what I would need to get access to frequencies below 30mHz. There is a 12wpm Morse code exam, but that should be no problem. However there doesn't seem to be any specific book to prepare for the test, and knowing how things work in France, the exam must not be easy. Questions are certainly not available. I need to find more information on how to prepare for the test and where to take it.

I don't think they'll give me an reciprocal licence for my Extra, but I can always try.

Ready for a USA/France sked anyone?

Ah, and of course I need to build a new radio. My K1 and my two MTRs were in the boat. Maybe a new K1, 20/40m.

Gil.

cockpitbob

QuoteAh, and of course I need to build a new radio. My K1 and my two MTRs were in the boat. Maybe a new K1, 20/40m.
Oh Nooooo.  I was wondering about your hand built radios.  Chump change compared to a boat, but there's something about things you build yourself, and you just can't go to the kit store and buy MTR kits.

The ARRL says your FCC license is good in France (sort of):http://www.arrl.org/select-countries-e-h
Quote[/France (F)
The French Republic shares a reciprocal licensing agreement with the United States.

Effective May, 1998, no licensing is required for visits of less than 3 months. To operate, you would sign "F/Your Call Here/p" (example F/KC1J/p).

Permits are issued for periods of 3 months for short term visitors, or 1 year for residents. Only residents are eligible for full French call signs, such as FD1XYZ, while short term visitors sign F/W1AW, FP/W1AW, etc.

Complete for following application forms, and send them together with a photocopy of your FCC license to the following address:

CGR
BP 61
94371 Sucy en Brie Cedex
France

The 3 month license takes about 2 weeks to obtain. The 1 year license takes about 60 days because of a police check that must be done.

CGR stands for Centre de Gestion des Radiocommnications and BP for Boite Postale (PO Box). Its telephone number is +33 (1) 45.95.33.69
quote]...plus more at that link.

Good luck with everything!

gil

QuoteThe ARRL says your FCC license is good in France (sort of):http://www.arrl.org/select-countries-e-h

Looks like I might get a year equivalency, but that's for residents, not citizens, so who knows.. Also, the article mentions Francs, which have not been used as currency since 1999, so it's an old article.. I need to find out...

Gil.

RadioRay

If I were still living in Virginia, then a sked with France would likely go rather well - and a LOT of fun!  So, you may have to learn a few special Morse characters for the diacritical marks used in French and other European languages.  OTOH - every contact is DX!  ha ha

I bet too, that you working QRP from Europe, all the 'big gun' station in the USA will say that you're 599.

ha ha

>RadioRay ..._  ._
"When we cannot do the good we would, we must be ready to do the good we can."  ~ Matthew Henry

Joe

Glad you are with family and can rest up and get your health built back up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cockpitbob

Hey Gil, I see you posting here again.  Welcome back!  You've been missed.