Radio Trek in the Pyrénées.

Started by gil, August 09, 2016, 05:57:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gil

I bought my train ticket today, so no point in delaying sharing my next radio adventure. Hopefully it will end better than my crossing of the Gulf Stream...  :-\ Leaving from Lille on the evening of the 17th I should reach Lourdes the next morning. No time for pilgrimaging (though given my bad luck lately it might not be a bad idea ::) ), I will need to get out of town far enough to find a place to set my tent without risking a double barrel of buckshot... The whole trek, part of the GR10 trail should take around 90 hours of walking with of course, lots of steep climbing. I think three weeks sounds reasonable. I need to be back on the 16th of September at the latest.

I plan on making a video of all the gear I will take with me, but here is a list of the radio gear:

• Weber MTR3b.
  • Elecraft KX2.
  • Veho360 mini speakers (2).
  • Kent Key.
  • ZM-2 tuner.
  • Chameleon MPAS.
  • ILERTENNA HWEF tuner.
  • Coax cables RG-58 & RG-174.
  • HW wire for 20m.
  • HW wire for 30m.
  • HW wire for 40m.
  • Sling shot, fishing line & weights.
  • AA cell holders (2).
  • AA chargers (2).
  • Choetech 19W solar panel.
  • Eneloop cells 1900mAh.
  • Counterpoise kit 4x25ft.
  • Counterpoise wire 10m.

My cheap AA chargers from China only charge cells to 1.2V, not enough for the KX2 which switches off at 9V. The MTR is quite happy down to 6V. I'll have to buy alkaline AA cells, which will make a big dent in my almost non-existent budget. Carrying the Kent key makes me cringe, but I could not buy the planned Palm Pico paddles. Maybe I should ask for more products to test... I am quite happy with everything else but the counterpoise wires which are a bit heavy. I should have bought another spool of thin wire from SotaBeams. I ordered a Pelican 1120 for my KX2 but I doubt it will arrive on time. The MTR has its own Faraday box, a Twinings mint tea tin can.

I wish I had a GoPro and a Zoom H2n recorder like before.. I'll do my best with my phone, which has a 4K camera :o

Questions and suggestions are welcome :)

Gil.

cockpitbob

That's a lot of gear there!  2 radios.  2 antenna systems.  2 speakers.  2 AA chargers.  Batteries plus a solar panel.  A Kent key which could double as a boat mooring.  Are you backpacking with everything on your back: tent, sleeping bag, food, stove, etc.?  Don't forget, you're not 25 any more :o

The EFHW wire for 40m will work on 20m too.  You could save a few ounces there.

BTW as soon as I get a few minutes I'll do a write-up on the QRP Guys $15 paddle kit.  For what it is, it's a great little key.  It weighs a couple ounces, is durable and cheap.  It's spring arms feel a bit spongy, but it's not supposed to be a Kent.  And unlike a Kent, it won't break your budget or your back and you can drop it from 1 meter and not hurt it.  I'm going to use Scotch-lock "Velcro" to attach it to my clip board.

gil

It is a lot... The speakers are the size of a golf ball and much lighter. The chargers weigh almost nothing. The only heavy items are the Kent, the JAW clamp and Hybrid Micro. My stove is a mini Trangia alcohol model. My tent is a bit heavy for a one person, It's an ICS. I have been doing 10km walks regularly, but I am sure it's going to be a shock.. That's the way I do things.. Usually turn out all right..

cockpitbob

Ounces make pounds.  Pounds make pain.

You caught me at a time when I'm particularly aware of this.  My older son, the Eagle Scout, is at this moment at the Philmont Scout Ranch in New Mexico doing an 11 day backpacking trek, most of which is above 6,500'.  He's an athlete but he's not an experienced hiker and has never backpacked above 1,000'.  I was constantly on him to keep the weight down.  He's in a group of 11, so he can't go at his own pace, and no one wants to be "that guy" who is always holding everyone up.

I'm also jealous of your trip and the grandeur of the terrain you'll be hiking in.  7 years ago I moved from California to New England.  15,000 years ago the glaciers from the last ice age wore down all the terrain here, especially where I live where there isn't anything taller than 400'.  I really miss being above 5,000' in the Sierras.  I do hope you have easy weather for the trip.

gil

I am going out on a limb so to speak, and I know it. Heavy pack, little money, no experience of the terrain and aging body.. I know I am in for some hardships, but comfort isn't good for me..

The KX2 might stay behind.. Especially if the Pelican case doesn't arrive on time.. I could also leave behind the 4-wire counterpoise. I should think about making a light key using a jack, Like Ray posted once.. The Kent would be the heaviest item in my bag, not counting water.

Thanks for pointing out my weight issue Bob ;-)

Gil.

RadioRay

Bob !  You should be ashaaaaaamed of yourself: teasing poor Gil about his weight  ::). Haha

Seriously though, this sounds like a wonderful trip. It is funny, having very heavy duty ( expedition grade ? ) antenna system and operating into it using the ultra-lite MTR5b. That's how I feel when I use my MTR connected to my favorite 1939 McElroy bug in the shack! I second the vote for the QRPguys paddle kit for $15.00Usd. It's super lite weight and I am modifying to have its own 3.5mm , three contact plug soldered right onto the paddle mount plate , so that I can plug it into a QRP rig directly.  If my MTR5b does not sell, I'll modify it for front edge key jack to plug the paddles in for easy use.

I'm a big fan of lite wire antennas and trees and/or the fiberglass pole for lite weight EFHW or dipole, a la SOTAbeams.uk   . Being born in England I find myself humming Rule Britania or some other patriotic song whilst putting the wire in the air.

Bon chance & Bon vojage ! 

Ray
"When we cannot do the good we would, we must be ready to do the good we can."  ~ Matthew Henry

gil

Indeed I should have bought the QRPGuys paddle kit, but there is no time to order anything from anywhere now :-\

Gil.

KK0G

Gil, I'll echo Bob's concerns of weight...... been there, done that. You'd be amazed at how much "heavier" a pack becomes every day even as it actually becomes lighter as food is consumed. If you want some near new, high quality backpacking gear, just wait around at the various trail heads along the Appalachian Trail and you can buy it for pennies on the dollar from hikers who quickly discovered they would much rather live without the items they just KNEW they couldn't live without than to continue lugging them on their backs for days on end. Something to consider.

It does sound like an awesome adventure, have fun.
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety" - Benjamin Franklin

KK0G

gil

Thanks, yes, I am sure my list will get shorter...
Gil

cockpitbob

Gil, 7 days without an update?  How are those of us without a life going to get by on such little nourishment
Today is departure day, isn't it?
What's your pack weigh?
What's the weather look like?
Are you bringing any "gentleman's fire starters"?  (ie:  100 proof brandy and cigars)

Prolly most important, are you going to post times you're likely to be operating on here?  If I can't get 7,000' up in the mountains I'd at least like to talk to someone who can.

gil

Hi Bob, yes, leaving in thirty minutes! Got your MTR cover and paddle bases this morning, just in time, thank you again! Pack weight is 25kg. I should be posting videos, if I can find WiFi.. I might be gone a wekk, two, or three.. Depending on my knees, LOL ::) The KX2 stays home.. Weather looks good and of course I have small cigars ;) No Brandy, I favor Cointreau and Grand Marnier, but that will be for later when my pack and I get lighter :o

I will be posting air times here.. Look for me on the Reverse Beacon Network too, probably after 16:00Z, In case I have no cell network.

Got to go, I need to find out how to get from the Gare du Nord to Gare d'Austerlitz in Paris.. From there, train to Lourdes, then on foot...

Gil.

cockpitbob

It all sounds wonderful.  25kg is manageable.

I love the RBN.  Unlike spotter sites like dxsummit, the RBN spots you automatically, and from wherever you can be heard.  If it shows you aren't getting across the Atlantic I won't have to waste my time trying to get you.

gil

All right guys, I am going to start by posting the non-radio video...

https://youtu.be/nEt1mcvKooQ

Gil.

gil

Now here is everything I packed, radio wise for the trip. I would of course not have taken as much had I not wanted to test the Chameleon MPAS system.. I took 16 AA cells but only needed 8 as the MTR draws very little current. I did not have to recharge the batteries at all. The half wave wires and ILERTENNA tuner were not really needed. The USB AA chargers are going to the trash. The Homebrew key was a great success. Thumbs up also to the Choetech 19W solar panel and the ZM-2 tuner, both performing as expected. The cheap Chinese made slingshot handle broke. The Veho-360 speakers were awesome as usual.

Also to be praised highly are the Wisport Raccoon 45 backpack from Poland and the Trangia alcohol mini burner.

See the Chameleon MPAS system review thread for operating videos: http://radiopreppers.com/index.php/topic,1137.0.html

Gil.