Gil Watch - Radio Spots

Started by RadioRay, August 19, 2016, 08:59:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cockpitbob

Curious.  I wonder why they have him the middle of France instead of way up in the corner near Belgum where his home address is.  I kind of doubt he's actually in the middle of France, unless he brought a multi-band beam antenna in that backpack and is always beaming NE.  Of course none of this hints that he might actually be in the Pyrenees.

gil

Hi guys! I came down the mountains! You can see my trek on svdagny.com, click on "map." I did not operate every day, only when convenient or even just possible.. I will be posting videos soon. Best day was indeed on 30m, too much contesting going on. Unfortunately I had no cell service up there so could not post frequencies. I used the Hybrid Micro UNUN with whip or 60' wire. Guess which worked best? Good contacts on 30m using 3W. I am now in Cauterets, heading soon for Bordeaux then Lille. I might operate one last time if I must wait Monday for the train. I have all kinds of stuff I want to do with radio upon returning.. Some crazy ideas about getting back to the sea as well. Lots of time to think alone in the mountains!

Gil

cockpitbob

Welcome back down!  Hope the weather treated you well.

I'm baffled by the reverse beacon network.  It looked strange how your spots were centered around Munich.  You were definitely getting out with your rig.  Maybe there are no skimmers in large parts of Europe. 

How did you like using a tuner?

gil

Thanks Bob. I did not mind using the ZM-2 too much since it works well. It is a big box however compared to the MTR. I think I would have preferred the Elecraft T1. Easier to just press a button. It was at times not easy to get a match with the ZM-2, the tuning being quite sharp sometimes. I prefer an end fed tuner on a wire, no coax losses..

Gil

gil

I will be on the air today from the Bordeaux region, look for me on the RBN!

Gil

cockpitbob

He's operating on 14,060 right now according to RBN.  I heard a few beeps fade in and out but they're too weak to pick out any characters.  But my QTH has S-8 noise on 20m so he may be readable, just not to me.

gil

I was! But propagation was dismal again. Also tried on 30m and 40m, all with the Hybrid Micro and whip. No contacts this afternoon but 40m was busy after dinner. I made four contacts, two in Germany, one using about 2W, Italy and Norway, all four with the 10'8" whip! I will try again tomorrow...

Gil

cockpitbob

Quote from: gil on September 03, 2016, 06:06:43 PM
I was! But propagation was dismal again. Also tried on 30m and 40m, all with the Hybrid Micro and whip. No contacts this afternoon but 40m was busy after dinner. I made four contacts, two in Germany, one using about 2W, Italy and Norway, all four with the 10'8" whip! I will try again tomorrow...

Gil
I think this solar minimum we are coasting downhill into is really going to suck.  I got my license in 2010 so this is my first time on the back side of a solar cycle.  I'm not liking it so far and I guess it's only going to get worse.

RadioRay

I was out in the park with a dipole: wretched conditions.  We've had solar wind playing havoc on the bands.  I made one contact on forty in CW on one in voice on a regional net to test 2.5 Watts into the linked dipole run up a 'squid pole' mast.  I was checked in, but just barely.

Looking forward to seeing your videos of the trip and I absolutely understand how a bit of quiet time in the mountains will make you yearn for the sea again!

>RadioRay ..._  ._
"When we cannot do the good we would, we must be ready to do the good we can."  ~ Matthew Henry

gil

Yep, I have not made a single intercontinental contact since getting back on the air, April.

The trip also told me I have not dealt with the loss of my boat and dream yet.. Still angry, all bottled up inside..

Gil