QUESTION: Why Do Men Love Morse Code?

Started by RadioRay, March 27, 2017, 10:34:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RadioRay

"When we cannot do the good we would, we must be ready to do the good we can."  ~ Matthew Henry

Mike6158

I registered just to answer this question (ok not just). No argument :)

KK0G

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety" - Benjamin Franklin

KK0G

swxx

I think women may have the answer to that: man are either ON or OFF they (or we) are that simple. CW (actually ICW Interrupted Continuous Wave) is either on or off, so it is simple, and we're comfortable with it. WOMEN on the other hand would need one that varies in frequency, a chirp would not be enough, it'd need to be more complicated than just dits and dahs.

cockpitbob

I think SWXX has the correct answer.  I found a visual aid that helps explain the point.

swxx

Hilarious! I heard of this long ago which is where I learned about this, but I've not before seen an actual photo that demonstrates it so well as the above! http://www.ba-bamail.com/content.aspx?emailid=18475

Sparks

Quote from: swxx on August 23, 2017, 08:58:06 AM
http://www.ba-bamail.com/content.aspx?emailid=18475

Funny site but very annoying popups that were impossible to dismiss until I gave them a fake email address.

Thanks cockpitbob for the picture, I have seen it a few years ago, this time I stored it for future reference.

swxx

Sorry about that, I just did a quick search for the actual joke with the same words as I remember it, and that site came up. On revisiting I saw pop ups that appeared when I tried to copy it, I turned off javascript (so hard to do have to go to about:config in FF these days, EVERYTHING goes backwards no longer forwards, we are definitely in regression across all fields now including technology)... so, here it is without that annoying site:

A language teacher was explaining to her class that in French, nouns unlike their English counterparts, are grammatically designated as masculine or feminine.

'"House" in French, is feminine - "la maison", while "pencil" in French is masculine - "le crayon."'

One puzzled student asked, "What gender is a computer?" The teacher thought it would be a good exercise to have the students decide what they thought the gender should be.

So she split the class into two groups appropriately enough, by gender and asked them to decide whether "computer" should be a masculine or a feminine noun.

The men's group decided that computer should definitely be of the feminine gender ("la computer"), because:

1. No one but their creator understands their internal logic.

2. The native language they use to communicate with other computers is incomprehensible to everyone else.

3. Even the smallest mistakes are stored in long term memory for possible later review.

4. As soon as you make a commitment to one, you constantly find yourself spending more money on accessories for it.

The women's group, however, concluded that computers should be masculine "le computer") because:

1. In order to do anything with them, you have to turn them on.

2. They have a lot of data but still can't think for themselves.

3. They are supposed to help you solve problems, but half the time they ARE the problem.

4. As soon as you commit to one, you realize that if you had waited a little longer you could have gotten a better model!