QRP Night, seems like a good idea...

Started by gil, May 18, 2017, 12:58:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gil

scarr

I like the idea a lot!

When I first got interested in amateur radio, I thought Field Day a great concept - but when I saw the vast setups people were using - trailers, generators, HF log periodics etc.. and heard the 599 contest contacts on the air, it wasn't for me.

This is much more interesting.

I've felt for a long time that it would be great if we could do things similarly to the SKCC - encourage good operating, encourage rag chewing, encourage QRS, encourage real RST's etc.

It wouldn't have to be limited to CW - we could have digital and voice. If we ever need to use radio in an emergency, or crisis situation, we're going to need to send more than 5NN and a log number - so it would be great if we included real world information, i.e. QNH, TEMP etc. during these events. It wouldn't be about making the most contacts, it would be about demonstrating the effectiveness of our setups.

gil

QuoteWhen I first got interested in amateur radio, I thought Field Day a great concept - but when I saw the vast setups people were using - trailers, generators, HF log periodics etc.. and heard the 599 contest contacts on the air, it wasn't for me.

Field Day is no longer about getting out of the shack, it's about getting the shack out...

Gil.

ron_c

I've only had my General ticket since the first week of march, but I've seen pictures of previous field day events  and feel the same way. I've been fortunate to have on an indefinite loan, 2 radios from work, an Icom IC-703 and a Yaesu FT-857D. I've made plenty of contacts on SSB, 20m and 40m. Working hard on copying code, sending seems to be really easy, decoding, however....well we all know it doesn't happen overnight. I find myself looking at radios that I want to purchase and really want something that works well as a shack unit, but something that is also portable. So many models and manufacturers. A friend has a KX3, but...$ that thing is not cheap. First time I've posted, i've started reading the other posts in the forum. 73 DE K4SFC

gil

Congratulations on your ticket Ron! And kudos for learning the code. You might want to look at LNR Precision transceivers and Youkits. You can also find great used gear but it it often old and big... The FT-817nd isn't a bad choice either...

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

Bigguy49

I had an 817 sold it regreated it and bought another love those radios

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

caulktel

I built a new Trapped EFHW for 20/40 meters to use for Field day, and planned to go portable today, but today is going to be the hottest day of the year, (about 110 F), so I decided to stay in my air conditioned shack and work a few people from here instead. I know, I gave up to easy:-(

Joel
N6ALT

Bigguy49

Sign me up just As long as it's slow speed , it's been years since I set in on a cw rag chew instead of " hi and bye"

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk