Bitcoin donations to: 1CE9UfWJcHBYkWPns7iqBqZgKhd5xfqEaM thanks!
Buy Bitcoins easily by clicking HERE and get $10 in free bitcoins!

Author Topic: Crowd Funding The Perfect Survival Radio?  (Read 384 times)

gil

• Administrator
  • SMeter: +68/-3
    • View Profile
    • Radio Preppers
Crowd Funding The Perfect Survival Radio?
« on: August 22, 2017, 01:51:20 PM »
Hello,

You know I've been thinking about the perfect survival radio for a while, first proposing a CW-only transceiver. Only fools never change their mind, so here is what I have come up with now:
  • Quad band, 20, 30, 40, 80m transceiver.
  • CW and DSB modes.
  • Keyer optional but real CW with full QSK.
  • 3kHz and 400Hz filters.
  • General coverage receiver.
  • 10W output.
  • Low current draw on receive.
  • Watertight case and connectors.
  • Battery in the case.
  • Built-in battery charger (3x 18650?).
  • Military handset or speaker-mic.
  • SWR indicator.
  • High SWR protection.

The choice of DSB is dictated by the need to interoperate with military radios which use USB only. I am thinking of a minimalist concept, less is better.

I wonder if a radio designer could be hired after a crowd funding campaign... What are your thoughts on this?

Gil.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 01:56:19 PM by gil »

paul5.wolf

• SMeter: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Crowd Funding The Perfect Survival Radio?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2017, 03:26:57 PM »
Hello,

You know I've been thinking about the perfect survival radio for a while, first proposing a CW-only transceiver. Only fools never change their mind, so here is what I have come up with now:
  • CW and DSB modes.
  • 10W output.
  • Battery in the case.
  • SWR indicator.
  • High SWR protection.

The choice of DSB is dictated by the need to interoperate with military radios which use USB only. I am thinking of a minimalist concept, less is better.

I wonder if a radio designer could be hired after a crowd funding campaign... What are your thoughts on this?

Gil.
The perfect survival radio would work for anyone.  He may not know code.  If it's survival, it's protection of life or property hence emergency-- legal regardless.  I like your idea to take a punch at a perfect survival radio.  Those who don't know code may know "SOS.". ANOTHER idea might be a few perfect survival radios each mimimal for their purpose.  Before I knew much about JT65, my thoughts ran to whether radios all set to a few  channels that were capable to transmit/receive as self contained units could do about anything in anyone's hands.  But, then behold those tiny messages and all the technicalities.  You are on to something good.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

swxx

• SMeter: +4/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Crowd Funding The Perfect Survival Radio?
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2017, 08:50:58 PM »
Hello,

• CW and DSB modes.
  • 10W output.
  • Battery in the case.
  • SWR indicator.
  • High SWR protection.

Gil.
I think it is a great idea. Perhaps even made in China provided proper QC is done and it keeps costs down. But QUALITY is KEY as it has to be reliable. I'd add to the above:

* Balanced output and built in tuner -- PFR3 does this and I think that's great as doublets (double zepps) work well, even vertically
* In the tropics, I think 40m acts like 80m does in Europe. So having 15/20/30/40 would be good for such locations.

I'd also like to see an Auto Alarm built. I may make a separate thread on that in the forums. If that can be incorporated in a CW Surival Rig I think that would be very cool, but even if it is a plug in addition or option.

The lack of being able to find any one rig that meets the above specifications on your list is what has prevented me, along with impecuniousness have prevented me, to date, from doing what I consider a priority. I have pretty much everything else communication wise: well versed in Morse, able to copy signals -13dB SNR by ear, home brew antenna experience, keys, but what is lacking is the RIG.

All I have at present is one of those current-guzzling ones that needs a car battery, and that battery won't last for long.