1 (2%)
Already Studying
3 (6.1%)
Choosing Not To Be Licensed
1 (2%)

Total Members Voted: 37

madball13

Quote from: gil on October 20, 2012, 10:57:52 AM
Congratulation on the tickets and welcome aboard  :)
I have the Buddistick, and it works great up to 30m.
The jury is still out on 40...

gil.

Thanks, so far the forum looks great and looking forward to participating.

Buddiestick/pole is tough for 40. For a vertical you really need radials and the TRSB. One of these days I'm going to test is as an NVIS on 40 and 80.

White Tiger

Quote from: madball13 on October 20, 2012, 10:47:27 AM
Got my tech last November and my general in March.

I'm with you Gil, no shack, want to run portable. Although with winter setting in I have my 817 with a HF packer amp set up in "my room" with a simple multi band single wire dipole in the trees outside my window. When I go portable I have single band end feds and a buddipole.

Welcome madball13 !

I think you need to be prepared on several levels, a mobile "go system" is a good idea, just don't know how someone would make constant/permanent movement a "winnable" strategy?

Maybe that has to do with the type of event you're preparing for? How long of a period of instability do you think will occur?
If you're looking for me, you're probably looking in the wrong place.

madball13

Quote from: White Tiger on October 22, 2012, 12:00:42 AM
Quote from: madball13 on October 20, 2012, 10:47:27 AM
Got my tech last November and my general in March.

I'm with you Gil, no shack, want to run portable. Although with winter setting in I have my 817 with a HF packer amp set up in "my room" with a simple multi band single wire dipole in the trees outside my window. When I go portable I have single band end feds and a buddipole.

Welcome madball13 !

I think you need to be prepared on several levels, a mobile "go system" is a good idea, just don't know how someone would make constant/permanent movement a "winnable" strategy?

Maybe that has to do with the type of event you're preparing for? How long of a period of instability do you think will occur?

I have no idea, but i plan for the worst and hope for the best. I am involved with EM in my town so i want ot be able to be able to go and go fast. My go items include the 817, back up battery, tuner, analyzer, end fed wires and a solar panel. If anything i will be able to listen for a long time.

White Tiger

It would seem to me that if you don't have supplies, you put yourself in a daily struggle to acquire basic provisions.

You're constantly in a situation the military spends millions of dollars trying to avoid...namely: long supply lines, or being cut off from supplies...

If you're involved in EM, I can understand how the planning for short-term events could affect your concepts of what to prepare for...what if an event occurs, or several events occur, where the government is unable to respond?

All grocery stores have approximately 3 days of inventory, most households have approximately 1 week supply on hand.

What happens after 7-10 days?

madball13

Quote from: White Tiger on October 22, 2012, 10:05:25 AM
It would seem to me that if you don't have supplies, you put yourself in a daily struggle to acquire basic provisions.

You're constantly in a situation the military spends millions of dollars trying to avoid...namely: long supply lines, or being cut off from supplies...

If you're involved in EM, I can understand how the planning for short-term events could affect your concepts of what to prepare for...what if an event occurs, or several events occur, where the government is unable to respond?

All grocery stores have approximately 3 days of inventory, most households have approximately 1 week supply on hand.

What happens after 7-10 days?

Then i go to the basement and start hitting the supplies  :D

White Tiger

Ahhh...so you have a stay in place/bug IN plan, you just think living in the open is where you will find the most freedom?

madball13

Quote from: White Tiger on October 22, 2012, 01:18:34 PM
Ahhh...so you have a stay in place/bug IN plan, you just think living in the open is where you will find the most freedom?

I have a bug in plan and will stay till resources or safety requires me to move out in which case i activate the bug out plan which includes moving to a secondary location.

White Tiger

That is essentially my plan...the only thing that I lack at that level of the plan is...the secondary location.

I know where Iwant it to be...just need t find the fundage...

White Tiger

Studying for my Extra exam - planned to take it this coming Saturday because with the holidays approaching, I won't be able to try again until January - but in a slight twist...I'm having to find a location in Pensacola to do the test. Heading over to the ARRL website to find a time and place...

gil

About mobility.. It isn't something I plan. If I can stay put, I would. I want to be mobile in case I have to move...

Gil.

deanathpc

Tech here. Just haven't been able to force myself to sit down and learn more.  I've tried but just can't remember all the material.  My goal is upgrade to extra though. Just having a difficult time doing it.

Dean

madball13

Quote from: deanathpc on November 09, 2012, 01:39:40 PM
Tech here. Just haven't been able to force myself to sit down and learn more.  I've tried but just can't remember all the material.  My goal is upgrade to extra though. Just having a difficult time doing it.

Dean

Have you seen hamstudy.org?

Great free site that has a great way of learning and testing the material.

cockpitbob

I just did a zombie march through the practice tests at qrz.com.  Once I started passing it most of the time I knew I was ready.

White Tiger

www.hamtestonline.com was a GREAT study guide.

Probably took 100 practice exams...currently hitting 70% on the Extra...after passing Tech & General!

Buckle Down, no doubt you'll pass!

extra_class_ham