Anyone so new they don't even have a radio yet?

Started by White Tiger, September 27, 2012, 03:30:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Tiger

Quote from: Geek on February 15, 2013, 12:17:49 PM
I now have study materials and I am working through them.  The materials say that repeaters receive on one frequency and retransmit on another.  If I am trying to communicate with someone through a repeater am I switching back and forth between frequencies?  It seems cumbersome unless there is some aspect of this I don't know about.
don't you have to preset/preselect on your radio and load it all into memory to make easier to use some of your local/favorite repeaters? Or do you mean that some radios do this automatically...?
If you're looking for me, you're probably looking in the wrong place.

gil

QuoteOr do you mean that some radios do this automatically...?

Yep, mine does, the Yaesu FT-270R. Most of them do. If I tune to a frequency in the repeater part of the band, it automatically puts it in split mode with the 600KHz offset. I don't have to do anything. Of course I may need to set the correct tone, but that's it.

Gil.

Geek

Advice here was to take the test before buying a radio, so no radio yet.  If the radio does the switching automatically, is that a feature I need to consider when purchasing, or is it pretty much standard?

gil

QuoteAdvice here was to take the test before buying a radio, so no radio yet.  If the radio does the switching automatically, is that a feature I need to consider when purchasing, or is it pretty much standard?

I would say pretty standard with the big brand names. You can verify this by downloading a model's manual from the manufacturer's web site. I think the point is not necessarily to get the test before you buy a radio (I had five radios before getting my tests, three of which I built), but to avoid buying a radio before you have learned enough to make the correct choice.

Gil.

White Tiger

Quote from: Geek on February 15, 2013, 02:29:01 PM
Advice here was to take the test before buying a radio, so no radio yet.  If the radio does the switching automatically, is that a feature I need to consider when purchasing, or is it pretty much standard?
So long as you've decided on a VHF-UHF radio. That would limit your range to about 30 miles (with a tower BUT without repeaters), up to a maximum of about 200 miles (relying on repeaters). I think you could go further with an echolink set-up...but with additional limiting dependencies.

The dependency on repeaters and the limited range of VHF otherwise, were limiting factors for me.

Not trying to influence you, just trying to make sure you're aware of these issues before committing to something!

Geek

Well, the advice is looking good, because I am certainly learning new stuff.  What is "echolink"?

gil

QuoteWhat is "echolink"?

Echolink is a system linking radios to the internet. So, you could talk to someone in another state using a simple 2m HT. Useless for emergencies because then you would of course simply send an email or use Skype or something. Useful only if you're 1. in range of an Echolink repeater. 2. The repeater is on. 3. The internet is working. Very limited use... Personally, I would not bother with it. Winlink, sending emails through radio, I will get into. Echolink, I don't think so.

Gil.

White Tiger

Quote from: gil on February 15, 2013, 05:39:20 PM
QuoteWhat is "echolink"?

Echolink is a system linking radios to the internet. So, you could talk to someone in another state using a simple 2m HT. Useless for emergencies because then you would of course simply send an email or use Skype or something. Useful only if you're 1. in range of an Echolink repeater. 2. The repeater is on. 3. The internet is working. Very limited use... Personally, I would not bother with it. Winlink, sending emails through radio, I will get into. Echolink, I don't think so.

Gil.
+ 1

Also why we chose HF over VHF (I have a complete set-up, just no interest - Gil sold his VHF system).

More flexibility in HF - simpler systems - better coverage options and better OPSEC.

...but to each their own!

gil

QuoteGil sold his VHF system

I still have my HT and I am waiting for the KX3 2m module...
No doubt I perfer HF though...

Gil.

Geek

Reading about the Baofeng UV-5R it has something called "semi-duplex".  Is this what I need to use a repeater painlessly or is it telling me it has something less than the duplex feature I need?  The beauty of this unit is the price.  I could get a pair of them and test reception 30 miles apart.  If they handle duplex I could definitely get through with the repeaters in the area and then experiment with antennas, etc. until I get Simplex working.

gil

You will not get 30 miles between two HTs. A few miles at most, maybe four or five. With high-up antennas on both ends, maybe 15 miles..

Gil.

White Tiger

Quote from: Geek on February 15, 2013, 08:24:47 PM
Reading about the Baofeng UV-5R it has something called "semi-duplex".  Is this what I need to use a repeater painlessly or is it telling me it has something less than the duplex feature I need?  The beauty of this unit is the price.  I could get a pair of them and test reception 30 miles apart.  If they handle duplex I could definitely get through with the repeaters in the area and then experiment with antennas, etc. until I get Simplex working.
I have the UV-5R - not only is Gil correct regarding the range of an HT - it does not automatically duplex. You must manually store the various/multiple repeater set-up's in memory. It is also designed to be programmed via a computer and a special cable, but this is not something the UV-5R does well...

Geek

Thanks.  The antennas can be high and the map shows I should have line of sight.  I will need a radio at each end just to get started.  I figured HTs could be a starting point and then be either handed down to other family members or placed in vehicles.  So it now sounds like I need two base stations to establish the link I want.  The MFJ-9402 was recommended.  If I have one of those at each end I would think there would be no problem with a repeater and I might get a Simplex connection, or I might need to work with antennas to get things working right.

If that sounds right to the folks here, then I would consider buying one now, listening while I am studying for the test, then buying the other and setting the second location and testing.  Does this make sense?

gil

The MFJ-9402 is a great radio. However, it is SSB only, no FM. You can't use it with repeaters. You can't use it to communicate with an HT. Depending on where you live, you might not hear many people on 2m SSB, if any... Also, you would need to use a horizontally polarized antenna, as it is the convention with SSB VHF. It will get you your 30 miles, most likely using a Yagi on both ends.

A pair (or more) 2m HTs will serve you well for very local communications, 4-5 miles radius. A better choice for a base station would be to find a used Icom 2m multi band radio, like the IC-271A I used to own and Tim has.. It is probably the best, having SSB and FM, and the tones board for use with repeaters. If my KX3 wasn't going to get a 2m module in a few months, I would have kept mine for sure. They go on Ebay for about $300 to $350. You could of course try the HTs with higher antennas, like the Slim-Jim I describe in the antennas section.. If it doesn't work then you can try something with a bit more omph... The FT-2900R has 75W and costs only $160...

Gil.

Geek

It's a good thing for me you are familiar with so many models.  I don't want a base that can't talk to a HT.  With Yaesu FT-2900R at each end do you think I'd have a shot at making my 30 mile Simplex connection, given adequate antennas?  It looks like it has the Duplex feature I need to use the repeaters.