Anyone so new they don't even have a radio yet?

Started by White Tiger, September 27, 2012, 03:30:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geek

It sounds like the reason for the uncertainty is the prospect of one end of the communication being in a valley, making line of sight difficult.  Some bands do better than others and some antennas do better than others, etc. depending on how hilly the terrain is.

As it turns out I am on the east side of a hill, but the good news is everyone I want to communicate with is east of me and they are on relatively high points within their neighborhoods, so I think I should have relatively little difficulty with someone being in a valley.  I'd like to check with that mapping product to be sure.

Assuming I am correct, we're back to the 2m band and can use it in each home and possibly some vehicles, albeit we may have to experiment with the height and type of antenna.

Geek

Figured out the link.  I needed to set up an account.  This thing is great!  According to the map, I can use 2m bad with an antenna only 2 meters high at each end.  Even if it is off a bit, I can try putting the antenna in the attic at each end or mount some sort of exterior antenna and have some improvement due to the additional height.  I have a wide open attic.

I tried this just with the Omni antenna choice, but there are other choices.  Any suggestion as to the best type of antenna for this application?  Assuming we also go mobile, what sort of antenna should go on the vehicle?

RadioRay

"When we cannot do the good we would, we must be ready to do the good we can."  ~ Matthew Henry

RadioRay

If you are going point-to-point a directional antenna on each end - like a 'yagi' and a 'gain' of 10 dB on each antenna will give you a virtual pipeline - if you have any path at all.
"When we cannot do the good we would, we must be ready to do the good we can."  ~ Matthew Henry

Geek

Can the antennas be different types?  I would think they could but want to make sure.  If everyone was trying to contact a central point, they could be using directional antennas, but the central point would not want a directional antenna.

BTW:  That map is really the key to figuring out where to start with everyone who is struggling with this same issue.  Thanks.

White Tiger

Ray - the link worked for me and I was able to set up an account...but you're right...it's a pain to maneuver through! Any quick tutelage on how to make it work? Do I need to log on through a windows machine and build a spreadsheet and upload it? Is it Apple-friendly?
If you're looking for me, you're probably looking in the wrong place.

gil

QuoteCan the antennas be different types?

Yes, but they need to be polarized the same way. Using a vertical antenna to communicate to a horizontal antenna won't work well at all. 2m FM usually uses verticals, and 2m SSB horizontally polarized antennas. It's just a convention, not a rule of man or physics.

Gil.

Geek

Quote from: gil on February 09, 2013, 05:22:43 PM
QuoteCan the antennas be different types?

Yes, but they need to be polarized the same way. Using a vertical antenna to communicate to a horizontal antenna won't work well at all. 2m FM usually uses verticals, and 2m SSB horizontally polarized antennas. It's just a convention, not a rule of man or physics.

Gil.

So an Omni at one end and a Yagi at the other is no problem as long as they are both oriented the same way.  Since I may want to put one of these in a vehicle it sounds like vertical should be the standard for my little family group.

Geek

Quote from: White Tiger on February 09, 2013, 05:12:22 PM
Ray - the link worked for me and I was able to set up an account...but you're right...it's a pain to maneuver through! Any quick tutelage on how to make it work? Do I need to log on through a windows machine and build a spreadsheet and upload it? Is it Apple-friendly?

Once you are logged on, you need to first define the location you want a map for.  Save that because you have to redefine the location starting with a map of the world otherwise.  Then if you want to generate differing equipment configurations, etc. you can just pull the location from a drop down list.  I found the interface a bit cumbersome as well, but I felt it was more about my unfamiliarity with HAM terminology than anything else, so I mostly accepted the defaults.  Once I produced a map and could see what was green, I felt it was worth the few minutes of figuring it out.

gil

QuoteSo an Omni at one end and a Yagi at the other is no problem as long as they are both oriented the same way.

Correct.

Gil.

White Tiger

Quote from: Geek on February 09, 2013, 06:34:44 PM
Quote from: White Tiger on February 09, 2013, 05:12:22 PM

Once you are logged on, you need to first define the location you want a map for.  Save that because you have to redefine the location starting with a map of the world otherwise.  Then if you want to generate differing equipment configurations, etc. you can just pull the location from a drop down list.  I found the interface a bit cumbersome as well, but I felt it was more about my unfamiliarity with HAM terminology than anything else, so I mostly accepted the defaults.  Once I produced a map and could see what was green, I felt it was worth the few minutes of figuring it out.

Thank you Geek - did you try to enter a Longitude/Latitude? I can't seem to find out how to do this?

By the way - I know mine because of my FCC license. I registered for a www.qrz.com account - when I entered my call sign it auto-populated the long/lat info from the address I used on my license (don't forget that part if you're worried about OPSEC).

If you, Ray, or anyone can help me figure out how to do this, it seems to be the only way to dial in on a specific region...right?

Geek

I did not try to enter latitude and longitude.  It came up with a world map centered on the west coast of Africa.  By moving the cursor and the magnification like using a Mapquest map I was able to center the location right on my house, but it took a bunch of iterations of move cursor, change magnification, repeat until I got it in the right spot.  Do that once and then save the location.  You'll never have to do it again unless you want to define another location. 

White Tiger

Quote from: Geek on February 10, 2013, 01:12:34 PM
I did not try to enter latitude and longitude.  It came up with a world map centered on the west coast of Africa.  By moving the cursor and the magnification like using a Mapquest map I was able to center the location right on my house, but it took a bunch of iterations of move cursor, change magnification, repeat until I got it in the right spot.  Do that once and then save the location.  You'll never have to do it again unless you want to define another location.

Thanks Geek, I'll give it a try!

Tadpoe62

Hi all,

I am very new to the whole radio business and would like to know more about the equipment.  I am in Kansas and if SHTF, I would like to be able to communicate, or at least hear, what is happening around the country.  I won't say my resources are unlimited but I can afford to purchase good equipment.  I am just not sure what I should be looking at.  I would like to be able to keep it somewhat disguised, as far as antenna, but otherwise not to worried about it.

In my current situation, bugging out is not an option so mobility is not necessarily important.  But I would like to be able to use handhelds as well as a base.  So go ahead, start blasting away with questions or comments.  I will do my best to keep up!  LOL!

gil