The JT65 Digital Mode

Started by WA4STO, September 13, 2012, 11:58:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KC9TNH

Quote from: KC9TNH on October 03, 2012, 07:03:08 PMThanks (to WA4STO) for the lead; I'd looked them over, got the manual & did some comparisons apples v. apples (insofar as my limited knowledge).  Once up & running they do seem to have the edge in terms of modes. Like the other, the data cable selected for my Yaesu's will work with either.
One thing noted in further research, not unexpected. While the physical interface & pin-outs alike, my 450 seems to be known for occasionally being signal twitchy on one of the levels. I was very impressed that Tigertonics seems to have done ALOT of ferreting out of this and has several well-documented workarounds, one of which I've likely got in hand w/o knowing it, since the 450D is seldom cranking out 100w.

More to read on modes as I revert back to "what is it I want to be able to do?" method, which drives the solution set. The hardware solution in my case given the base & field radios models involved seems to be easy and, once jumpered, the Signalink USB is almost a no-brainer. Having a simple pot at-hand to tweak that is a plus for this FOG.

The WINMOR info is interesting from a contingency perspective, something available for a natural event. I note from the WINLINK website that discusses that one can even hit a map to see when one's call last popped up to connect to gateway "x". Hmmm. Hmmm.

Then again, I'd like to just have a mode where I can go (AFSK?) and just simply pound keys with someone, as well as be able to dump some content in and have it go. (I know it's more complicated than that, but it's been awhile and I'm keeping this caveman-simple on my own behalf.) Olivia seems to be a mode that has gained legs.

WA4STO: musing over ergonomics in the base-location, how long is the supplied box-to-radio cable from Tigertronics typically?

This is kinda interesting stuff; lots to peruse this weekend as well as setup the new "Oh-Zheng" dual-band HT.

WA4STO

Quote from: KC9TNH on October 03, 2012, 07:03:08 PMsince the 450D is seldom cranking out 100w.

The WINMOR info is interesting from a contingency perspective, something available for a natural event. I note from the WINLINK website that discusses that one can even hit a map to see when one's call last popped up to connect to gateway "x". Hmmm. Hmmm.

Then again, I'd like to just have a mode where I can go (AFSK?) and just simply pound keys with someone, as well as be able to dump some content in and have it go. (I know it's more complicated than that, but it's been awhile and I'm keeping this caveman-simple on my own behalf.) Olivia seems to be a mode that has gained legs.

WA4STO: musing over ergonomics in the base-location, how long is the supplied box-to-radio cable from Tigertronics typically?

That's a very interesting point about your rig rarely using full power.  On the digital modes (which are 'full duty cycle' pretty much) most HF rigs couldn't handle the full 100 watts before frying the final output transistor(s).  Except for the older (and maybe newer) Ten-Tecs.

So, with my Icom IC-7000 for example, I MUST cut it back to at least 50 watts.  Even then, I have a small fan running on top of the rig.  Belt and suspenders.

I noticed today, while working a guy in France on JT65 (ten meters, surprisingly), my output power was showing as ten watts.  Then I realized that I didn't have the little "TX" pot on the Signalink cranked up quite high enough.  A little twist, and it was up to 40 watts; fine by me, keeps those transistors warm, but happy.

Yes, those "reverse beacons" are uber-nice to have available.  I didn't know that WINLINK and/or WINMOR had one, but it surely must be very helpful.

You bet, just "pounding the keys" is oodles of fun.  RTTY is my favorite of those modes and for some odd reason, the DX stations continue to favor it over the newer stuff.  Dunno why.

I got the impression that you could wrap most of the modes into NBEMS such that files could be sent, even with modes that are 'normally' keyboard-only.  But you're right; Olivia is very quickly becoming the defacto one.  Gaining/growing legs, indeed.

SLUSB box-to-radio cable?  Mine is thirty six inches; I would think it would be the same or very very similar for the other cables / other rigs.

73 de WA4STO

KC9TNH

WA4STO thanks for the feedback; 36" would work for a cable. I can extend the USB piece a bit to keep things out of the way.
You're right of course about not using full-power. I got in the habit of dialing it back anyway, typically it's set between 50-60w, whether the amp is in use or not. And some of the modern finals will kick out spikes when first keyed that only a true peak meter will catch but that may damage something else downstream. If the amp is off, it still stays at 70w max, unless I want to play QRP - nothing to ruin your hearing discipline on a QRP freq faster than someone coming in at 40-over... On CW, most times I can get done anything I want with 50-60w. (I have no shame about using an amp when a no-kidding ocean to ocean SSB signal needs to be held in difficult band conditions. I could hunt deer with a musket too but I like to eat.)

Thanks for the continued feedback on this stuff. Lots to study.
:)