Maritime mobile following, July 10-19 2020.

Started by gil, July 01, 2020, 05:04:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gil

Hello.

I am leaving for Spain on July 7th in an attempt to bring my sailboat Ragnar back to France. Hopefully the boat will be put back in the water on the 9th and I should set sail on the 10th. The problem is getting to Spain with ever changing restrictions on travel due to Covid-19. If all goes well and I can get there and leave port, the trip should last about ten days. The boat is a Havsfidra 20 built in Sweden, a good ocean-going full-keel double-ender sailboat.

As far as radios I think I will bring my Minion SDR and MTR3b; subject to change... The antenna will be the Chameleon MPAS with the whip. I am also carrying an inReach satellite beacon. You will be able to follow me at: https://share.garmin.com/svragnar

I am not sure if I will be able to be on the air during the day but I plan on following the coast and stop at night, so most likely will be on the air in the evening, starting at around 19:00Z. Frequencies will probably be 14300, and I might browse around 20m, 14285 and around. I should be also on 10123 CW. I'll have probably only one antenna so it will be 20 or 30m. I might bring a random wire with a 9:1 UNUN hung from the mast spreader, but not sure about that.

For those who might be living in the south of France, I will also listen to HAM VHF on coastal repeaters, as well as 145.5MHz. So far I have programmed only Toulon, but I will add more to my VX6. For those who might also be maritime mobile in the area, I will of course monitor marine VHF channel 16 as required by law. My MMSI is 227245060. I have an AIS receiver but no transponder, so the Garmin map will be the only way to follow my progress, or lack thereof.

I was planning on using JS8Call but could not get the hardware on time and my laptop crapped out, so no computer aboard.

What I would like is that you guys report any contact with me here. I won't be able to update this thread starting on the 7th.

I will be using a very short antenna but the Mediterranean ground plane should help ;-) My starting point is smack between Barcelona and Valencia, destination is Antibes.

This is a very exciting but also stressful endeavour for me after losing my previous boat Dagny in the Bahamas at the end of 2015. I am also not in optimal physical shape after this long confinent and I know it will be a very physically demanding trip on an unknown boat. Wish me luck... I will update this thread until the 6th, then it will be radio only. Also watch Twitter as I should be within phone network at times and might be able to update Facebook as well. You are welcome to repost here for those who do not use these applications.

Gil.

Alex.

Have a good en save journey!
Maybe you're be able to make some video footage of your trip? would be awesome.

73's
Aan de rand van een afgrond is een stap voorwaarts meestal geen vooruitgang.

gil

RadioRay

Gil's Garmin track shows that he has launched into the Med Sea , making almost five knots !
"When we cannot do the good we would, we must be ready to do the good we can."  ~ Matthew Henry

mjvanek

Bon Voyage Gil. Are you sailing solo? Will be listening for you in the evenings and following your progress during the day.

Martin Vanek KN4MNA

rah

RadioRay could you post a link to Gil's Garmin map, please?
Yaesu FT-897
LDG AT-200Pro II
Icom IC-91A

rah

Yaesu FT-897
LDG AT-200Pro II
Icom IC-91A

Old Radio Bloke

Has anyone managed to work Gil or heard him /MM?

Searched on DX cluster but no spots.

RadioRay

I believe that we know this fellow :-).  Port tack and a beautiful day.

>>> Gil said that he will try to be on freq tonight. Looking at his course and speed , I am assuming his QTP/QTH should be the coast slightly west of Barcelona.
"When we cannot do the good we would, we must be ready to do the good we can."  ~ Matthew Henry

RadioRay

Reverse Beacon Network showed the following.  // Gil reported that these are fake, not him. //

F4WBY   10118.0   CW CQ   31 dB   17 wpm   2033z 11 Jul
F4WBY   10118.1   CW CQ   50 dB   17 wpm   2033z 11 Jul
F4WBY   10118.0   CW CQ   34 dB   17 wpm   2033z 11 Jul

Old Radio Bloke

I tried calling Gil on 10118 and 10123 but no luck.

gil

Hi guys! Safe and sound in Vilanova. 30m was closed when I called, bummer... BTW there are three high-db reports of me on 10118 on the 11th. Those are fake.

I will try 14300 during the at sea next, but no promises... Unfortunately it is always late when I'm ready to go on the air.. On top of that there is a contest going on!

TTYL! And thanks Ray!

Gil.

RadioRay

Gil said : ..."there are three high-db reports of me on 10118 on the 11th. Those are fake."

That explained those huge signals in the Canadian/US Pacific North-West, yet nothing in Europe at that time.

I hope that you get some good rest tonight and a continuing fine sail.

>Ray

gil