Edit: Looking for beginner-friendly receiver schematics.

Started by Vlaad, September 22, 2020, 05:59:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vlaad

Edit:  Think I'm getting the hang of it now.
I have some decent understanding of the transmitter and amplifier circuits I've looked into. At least I think I do ;)

Not quite sure about the receiver, any recommendations in that regard?

Now, I'm aware that there are some extremely simple devices, like the Mighty Mite transmitter and Pixie.
However, as far as I understand, these seem to be little more than novelty toys, due to very low output powers.

What I'm looking for is something inbetween these, and the more "fancy" devices, like the Mountain Topper, with a 3+ bands and a microprocessor plus firmware, and so on.

Something to tinker with, see where each part belongs, and figure out why it belongs there and what it does.

Closest thing I've found so far would be this: https://www.qsl.net/kd7rem/5wpa.htm

A compact, comprehensive transmitter, with the fitting amplifier to make it more useful.
However, the whole site is rather light on instructions.

Is there anything to that effect that'd be more suitable for beginners?

KO4DNI

QRP Labs QSX+. I am looking to build one of these myself. Not a kit for beginners (like myself)they say, but I'm not looking for a toy either. Great reviews. Gil has videos building and reviewing the earlier model QSX. If it gets his stamp of approval, you can't go wrong.

N0AJS

The QCX is a great kit. Id also like to say its a little more advanced than a beginner kit but not so unreasonable that you need a lot of experience. Its $50 so if you do make a mistake its not going to break the bank (like an elecraft kit would). I have built 2 of them and am looking forward the the SMD version Hans is working on. General output is around 3-5 watts depending on your battery and how deliberate you wind your torroids. The board is also set up to experiment with add-ons and other things. 

Vlaad

Quote from: N0AJS on September 23, 2020, 03:34:02 PMThe QCX is a great kit. Id also like to say its a little more advanced than a beginner kit but not so unreasonable that you need a lot of experience. Its $50 so if you do make a mistake its not going to break the bank (like an elecraft kit would). I have built 2 of them and am looking forward the the SMD version Hans is working on. General output is around 3-5 watts depending on your battery and how deliberate you wind your torroids. The board is also set up to experiment with add-ons and other things. 

Yeah, thanks.

I've found a few schematics for transmitters and amplifiers that I understand reasonably well. At least I hope!
I'm not quite sure about receivers, though, any recommendations?

gil

N0AJS

Im really excited about the mini. I have the original QCX in both 40 and 20. So the problem now becomes what band/s do i opt for. 40 has proven reliable with the cycle the way it is but everything i own has 40 on it so it doesn't make sense. 20 has been just about dead for me over the last year and i dont really enjoy operating on it. I have been interested in giving 17m a look. Wire antennas are fairly short and getting it up high enough to have a good radiation pattern feels like it is more doable than the lower bands. 

gil

Why not 30m? My 30m QCX is dead but I will get a mini on 30m. My other QCX is on 80m. I might also get the QCX+...

Gil.

N0AJS

Gil, ive been giving 30m some serious thought lately. I have a utility pole that has been giving me s9 noise at my new QTH on just about every band. Its on 30 but not nearly as pronounced. My only concern is that it seems like ive got to go 25wpm to hang. Im sure people slow down but its a bit easier to find people around 7.050 cruising at 15-18wpm. I plan on making a 30 m HWEF and putting it up in the yard just to see what propagation is like.

gil

Hello, honestly, I can't operate much above 18wpm, and 30m is one of my favorite bands. I just reply at my own speed and people mostly adjust. Those who don't, I send QRS, and often they just leave, but I don't care. I call CQ at my own speed as well and couldn't care less is the speed demons don't answer. I get plenty of contacts at 18wpm.
Have a great week-end :-)
Gil.

N0AJS

Ill definitely start using 30 more, i would like to understand the propagation better. But first i need to build a DF antenna so i can find the cause of my RF interference problem. I narrowed it down to a block because it just overpowers the AM broadcast in my Jeep.