How prepped are you?

Started by Ben in France, April 08, 2022, 10:00:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ben in France

For the last couple of years, the wife and myself have been fairly conscious of a need to prepare. We bought a small, self sufficient house, on two hectares(5 acres) of land and slowly started the renovations. It is, fairly difficult for me as I am in a wheelchair. And being in the chair, would make it more difficult for us to bug out somewhere if we had to. That being said we both have bug out bags, packed and ready to go. We have installed a grid tied solar system (with battery storage), which will still work if the grid goes down. The wife is mad about canning food, and we grow our own food. We have a couple of shotguns, and other less lethal options in the house. (although here in France I will probably get locked up for using them, for self defense). So last thing we want to get in order, is emergency communications. I have a couple of Baofeng radios, but they are fairly limited in range, and not much happening around this way, that I can pick up. I have just programmed some pmr446 frequencies, to keep in touch with the wife. I have just bought a tecsun S2000 for some SW listening, and will likely run a long wire outside for an aerial. I don't have a license, so it will only be for listening. I might take it up as a hobby when I have more time.
Are there any emergency stations/frequencies I should monitor (I am in France), or is it just a case of scanning through and seeing what I can find.

Hopefully I have put this in the right section.

RadioRay

Here in Virginia , USA, my NURSE Wife is a country girl and we live very close to salt water, connected to the huge Chesapeake Bay. We live in VERY rural farming and fishing country, have NO highways 'passing through' because we live on a penninsula and ALL roads to the mainland 70 miles away, end in deep salt water .I improve the garden soil every year, fish for the occasional meal, have crabs, oysters and many, many kinds of fish. In winter, we heat using our iron woodstove, with wood from our 1 acre property and massive local woods, using hand axes and bow saw - the old way.
// My people came to North America from Normandy and before Normandy from Norselandia, so sailing and axe work are in the genes  ;-)   //

Salt water on three sides of us means FOOD/protein, and transportation.  I'm an old sailor, I have experience navigating with paper charts, compass and sextant. No fuel "required" for old sailors: oars and an ersatz sail are powerful tools when the expensive power boats are out of gas, have no computer GPS and the owners live in major cities, like Washington DC which is the world's number one TARGET!

No place is perfect, but we are in a little cottage to retire in place. Oh and RADIOS, with wire antennas in TALL trees.

73 de Ray
"When we cannot do the good we would, we must be ready to do the good we can."  ~ Matthew Henry