Inverted Vee dipole, legs not collinear

Started by Hutch, July 19, 2016, 12:55:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hutch

New friends, I found this,site a few months back, and joined to pose this question:

I am planning to put up a permanent inverted Vee dipole for NVIS operation.  I will not be able to run the two legs in a straight line, more like a shallow Vee (as viewed from above), likely bat 20 degrees off straight.  Is this going to work?  What might be the affect on radiation pattern?  My plans are to used a trapped dipole that will be a full half wave for 40m, and trapped for 80.  Center point should be ~30 ft above the house, with the ends being almost to the roof of my one-storey house, call it ~ 12ft AGL.

TIA...

Hutch, the noob.

gil

Hello Hutch and welcome aboard.

I think it will work just fine for NVIS. I've made many NVIS contacts with sloppers at 45deg. You always have some radiation going straight up and an inverted V  should have plenty.

Gil.

Hutch

Thanks, Gil, and thanks for this forum.  Reading your response, I just want to make sure I understand.  I've seen several blog posts about currently available copies of the military NVIS design, and while they are inverted V's, my concern was that the two legs of my 40m element will form a Vee shape as viewed from above.. Since that's not a concern, I'm ready to get my tilting mast erected.

Thanks again

Lamewolf

Quote from: Hutch on July 19, 2016, 12:55:36 PM
New friends, I found this,site a few months back, and joined to pose this question:

I am planning to put up a permanent inverted Vee dipole for NVIS operation.  I will not be able to run the two legs in a straight line, more like a shallow Vee (as viewed from above), likely bat 20 degrees off straight.  Is this going to work?  What might be the affect on radiation pattern?  My plans are to used a trapped dipole that will be a full half wave for 40m, and trapped for 80.  Center point should be ~30 ft above the house, with the ends being almost to the roof of my one-storey house, call it ~ 12ft AGL.

TIA...

Hutch, the noob.

It will work just fine but the pattern will just be slightly lop sided and skewed toward side that the ends are bent toward each other.  That close to the ground it will not matter much !

VA7UV

Two switched vees posted here at right angles to each other, offers further insight (from VK3LMR).