Speaking of Disasters . . .

Started by RadioRay, February 16, 2013, 09:43:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Tiger

Quote from: Frosty on February 18, 2013, 12:34:25 PM
Quote from: WA4STO on February 18, 2013, 11:24:44 AM
Well, if your loved ones suddenly don't HAVE the internet and they're shouting 'can you hear me now?' (they can't...) in the aftermath of an SHTF situation, they definitely CAN reach their local amateur radio network nodes to send out email inquiries to their loved ones across the country. 

They can also count on being able to inquire as to 'conditions' elsewhere.  Maybe they need to know if martial law is still in effect in Texas, or whether the blue helmets have been spotted around LAX, or whether the electricity is on in Podunk.  You get the idea.

While I think it's admirable that you're willing to offer your time and equipment to help others contact friends/family and provide news and information in the event of a disaster, aren't you concerned about potentially attracting a lot of visitors to your home by offering this service Luck?  Maybe I'm too paranoid, but advertising this willingness/ability, the fact that you're a prepper, and your callsign/home address publicly seems potentially dangerous in my way of thinking.  While I'd try to help others when I could, the last thing I'd want is a line of people outside my door wanting me to send messages on their behalf, or checking back for any reply messages I might have received for them.  Seems like it could have the potential to get out of control rather quickly?

I agree Frosty...I think Luck was referring to Geeks prepper group.

I think my post indicated passing traffic for others...I should have noted that was for a different type of emergency...like after a hurricane. Even still, it bears considering that some folks would simply remember the way back to my place if some "trouble" occurred with a more permanent/longer lasting duration.

You're right to be concerned about OPSEC during SHTF. The topic of who to "trust" during a SHTF event came up this weekend amongst some family members. in the event of an SHTF - OPSEC would rely on strict covert communication between trusted partners. I do not have a direct military background, so it is not easy for me to think in terms of not offering overt help during periods just after a weather related issue that result in short-term (few weeks to a month) power outages. I may have to reconsider my plan...perhaps the thing to do in either situation would be to gather my own information and pass what I think to be necessary communications, without telling the individuals or groups what I'm doing?

...need to ponder this a bit more....

Of course, as with WA4STO - my home address is not linked to my call-sign....
If you're looking for me, you're probably looking in the wrong place.

WA4STO

Quote from: Frosty on February 18, 2013, 12:34:25 PM

While I think it's admirable that you're willing to offer your time and equipment to help others contact friends/family and provide news and information in the event of a disaster, aren't you concerned about potentially attracting a lot of visitors to your home by offering this service Luck?  Maybe I'm too paranoid, but advertising this willingness/ability, the fact that you're a prepper, and your callsign/home address publicly seems potentially dangerous in my way of thinking.  While I'd try to help others when I could, the last thing I'd want is a line of people outside my door wanting me to send messages on their behalf, or checking back for any reply messages I might have received for them.  Seems like it could have the potential to get out of control rather quickly?

That's a good point.  But I'm not concerned about it.  I'm SO not concerned about it, that I have been known to alert the media on occasion to my abilities on behalf of the general public.  As our digital networks become ever more capable, I'll be advertising them as well.

It's no secret and it's one of the very reasons I became a radio amateur, 43  years ago.

As for getting out of control, my local community doesn't much mess with my property.  Not sure why:  Maybe it's these, dunno:

Best 73 de "Luck" WA4STO

White Tiger

Quote from: WA4STO on February 18, 2013, 04:50:51 PM

Hah! I'm printing them now and they're going up all around the compound!

RadioRay

Having my roots in the Idaho backcountry, I prefer a more 'direct approach'.

Use a PO Box and unless your radio station & other preps are in there, you're pretty anon.

>Ray
"When we cannot do the good we would, we must be ready to do the good we can."  ~ Matthew Henry

WA4STO

HA!!!!  Great one, Ray.

I've been looking for one along the lines of:

"Warning:  Trespassers will be SHOT.  Survivors will be shot AGAIN!"

Subtle, you ain't!

LH

Frosty

A PO box wouldn't do much good around here, all you need is a name to get directions to someone's home.  Rural living drawback, but at least there's no google streetview here.   Don't have to be a detective to spot Rohn tower with a Yagi in someone's yard.   NVIS works to hide it from the neighbors or the guy on the street, but there's no hiding from Gov't SIGINT collection.  It's scary what they could do 20-30 years ago.

I know, my paranoia is showing, but then I'm preparing for something more like the Civil War or the Spanish Flu.  Localized disasters are kid stuff.   ;D

Do like the signs, I have one that reads, "Go Away. Trespassers will be Violated" as a joke - but my favorite for SHTF use is "U try, U die" in dripping red letters on a piece of plywood.

White Tiger

Quote from: Frosty on February 19, 2013, 08:37:03 AM
A PO box wouldn't do much good around here, all you need is a name to get directions to someone's home.  Rural living drawback, but at least there's no google streetview here.   Don't have to be a detective to spot Rohn tower with a Yagi in someone's yard.   NVIS works to hide it from the neighbors or the guy on the street, but there's no hiding from Gov't SIGINT collection.  It's scary what they could do 20-30 years ago.
I would be shorting the truth to tell you that what I started preparing for...is not what I am currently preparing for...just think that some of what has been done is unrecoverable, and more specifically, it can only have been committed to with a specific purpose. Kind of like someone goading peaceful people into a fight  - how else can you make sense of the destruction of wealth which saw the collapse of businesses, making jobs more and more scarce, putting pressure on resources we take for granted, then limiting access to them, restrictions on the types of seeds used to grow our food stocks, then rewarding hard-pressed farmers to grow corn used for gasoline at the time we need more food stock, and all of this pursued under the guise of doing something for the economy...(?)
I know, my paranoia is showing, but then I'm preparing for something more like the Civil War or the Spanish Flu.  Localized disasters are kid stuff.   ;D
dont worry Frosty, it's not like we're trying to keep a lid on all our paranoia so we don't scare away the new guys....have you talked to the new guys?
Do like the signs, I have one that reads, "Go Away. Trespassers will be Violated" as a joke - but my favorite for SHTF use is "U try, U die" in dripping red letters on a piece of plywood.
ok...I'm going to need pictures of that last one...

Geek

After my WTC experience I do not even try to think of the types of things that could go wrong.  Something will happen that is outside my imagination.

RadioRay

Well, we all have to do our threat assesments , and plan accordingly. I'm not planning on anything more than home economics and defending the home wherever possible.  Really - 99.9% of all 'survival' is home economics, so this makes sense to me.  I live in a nicely rural area, though line-of-site to the world's biggest bullseye:  Washington DC , just over 70 miles and the same to the world's second biggest bullseye: the U.S. Navy at Norfolk.  We're not planning on moving, so it is what it is.

Personally, I'm not planning for anything 'spook-worthy' in my communications.  Ham is a significant tool, enjoyable hobby and an excellent platform for learning how to use technlogy and led to a fine career path for me. Radio in general is a superb and very 'anon' way to listen to the rest of the world, even if you never transmitted. As far as the government and radio during a genuine national emergency (instead of the 'disasters' as determined by political needs) it's anyone's guess. If 'THEY' decide to round-up every 'old man' with a radio - I'm on the list.  If this nation just continues to decay, rot slowly and turn into the year 1990 former Soviet Union, then we're already well on our way to this decay as this is written to you. Of course, the USSR did not have the core racial issues that we do, so our mileage will vary... Either way, shelter, water and fire are still the survival priorities.  Our garden, greenhouse and etc. are a good investment, whether we thrive or thrash as a nation, though my prognistication is more toward the 'thrash' side of the equation.

>de RadioRay ..._ ._

"When we cannot do the good we would, we must be ready to do the good we can."  ~ Matthew Henry