Bitcoin donations to: 1CE9UfWJcHBYkWPns7iqBqZgKhd5xfqEaM thanks!
Buy Bitcoins easily by clicking HERE and get $10 in free bitcoins!

Author Topic: Have you tried the 160m band?  (Read 811 times)

gil

• Administrator
  • SMeter: +70/-3
    • View Profile
    • Radio Preppers
Have you tried the 160m band?
« on: October 31, 2017, 06:42:16 PM »
Hello. I never have... Wondering about its utility in a prepping context...

Have you tried the 160m band? What is your experience? What do you think about it?

Gil.

cockpitbob

• Administrator
  • SMeter: +39/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Have you tried the 160m band?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2017, 10:03:40 AM »
...and if you have tried 160m, what are you using for an antenna?

I have a 180' random length end fed on an MFJ-941 Versa Tuner (manual 200W tuner).  It will tune 160m, but I haven't listened to that band in years.  The best I recall was lots of QRN and not much activity.  I'll give 160 a listen this weekend.

caulktel

• SMeter: +7/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2017, 11:33:42 AM »
I can hear some stations on 160 listening on my 40 meter dipole with a tuner on it, but otherwise I don't have enough real estate for it. I saw a nice video yesterday, https://youtu.be/Al3ZJipFq6k using a Mag Loop for 160/80, it looks interesting.

Joel
N6ALT

NavySEAL

• SMeter: +3/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2017, 02:33:09 PM »
I have a 220 meter long line that I can set at 80m, 160m and 220. I used my 857 but never ever heard a thing. Used my vertical, my dipole, and my tower with the umbrella. still no luck.

gil

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Radio Preppers
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2017, 04:16:06 PM »
Thanks guys. I'm still wondering if 160m is worth a try or not... Its ground wave penetration capabilities are interesting. I learned it was even used in speleology. It makes me wonder if a dipole laid on the ground could work... Other than that, I guess you'd have to use a kite antenna. Not so many prepping applications it seems. Not to mention that very few people use it.

What do you think? Try it? Don't bother?

Gil.

NavySEAL

• SMeter: +3/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2017, 06:06:11 PM »
Go for it, we need every band.

Quietguy

• SMeter: +7/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2017, 09:35:50 PM »
What do you think? Try it? Don't bother?

I haven't had an antenna up yet I could tune on 160, but I had a single eye-opening experience with it.   A few years ago I was running NVIS Pactor tests on 80m with some friends, and one wanted to try his NVIS antenna on 160.  He was about 100-ish miles north of me and running maybe 50 watts or less.  I knew I couldn't tune to connect but we decided to see if I could hear his call.  I was switching antennas and had the incoming antenna coax disconnected from the LDG antenna coupler, which was connected to the radio with about 15 or 20 feet of coax.  I was on the telephone with my friend when he hit the connect button early, and damned if his signal didn't couple to my IC-706MkIIG through that 20 feet of coax and my radio tried to answer.  Of course the SWR was through the roof so I hit the power switch to shut down the radio but I was in disbelief over that - his NVIS antenna was one of those run-along-the-fence-top affairs about 5 or 6 feet off the ground.  I don't know how long it was, but it put a strong signal into my radio through maybe 20 feet of coax as an antenna.

Ever since then a 160m antenna has been on my list of things to do since I have the space.  But, physical problems have kept me from doing any antenna work for some time now, so it is still just "on the list".

Yes - try it.  Otherwise you will never know.

Wally

gil

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Radio Preppers
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2017, 04:02:16 AM »
I guess there is nothing to learn by doing nothing...

Gil.