Interested in Broadcasting .... OFF THE GRID?

Started by ttabs, November 18, 2012, 11:05:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Tiger

Quote from: ttabs on November 27, 2012, 06:23:39 PM
UPDATE - I figured out (I think) how to run that well pump.  It can handle between 12v to 30v input and uses 2.5 amps to function.  I ordered up today a pair (cuz two is one) of 12v to 24v step up converters on eBay along with 400' of 6AWG wire.  I can attach the pos wire only to a pressure switch and have it cycle on at 30psi and off at 35psi.  Easy in theory except for the install.  now I can run my water supply off grid too.  Cool stuff.

I see lots of views and no comments. Hmmmmm......
excellent stuff here ttabs...but it's tech laden and Im the least "tech-y" guy here!

I also battle A.D.D. Which basically mean - when I see tech-laden stuff, I look at the pictures (like I'm sticking my toe in to test the water!)...but then my brain tells me there's something shiny in another thread...

I was especially interested in your ideas on powering the radio, aaaannnddd the solar powered well pump got my wife's attention!
If you're looking for me, you're probably looking in the wrong place.

ttabs

Great -  I meant it to not only peak your interest, but show you the path to getting there.  AND, it's not that complicated. 

BTW- the well pump will provide 35 PSI pressure to my well system.  I got to thinking that I could install a 12v RV water pump in the cabin if I need to boost the water presser inside.  Not sure that would be necessary but ... I'm always thinking.  Fun stuff!

WA4STO

Quote from: ttabs on December 06, 2012, 10:30:00 AM
BTW- the well pump will provide 35 PSI pressure to my well system.  I got to thinking that I could install a 12v RV water pump in the cabin if I need to boost the water presser inside.

My (very hazy) full-timing RV daze tells me that my RV 12v water pumps usually provided maybe 4 to 7 lbs of water pressure.  Oh wait, a quick check of the Shurflo site tells me I was way wrong.  3.5 gallons per minute, but 40-ish psi.

The showers were pathetic but post-shtf?  fabulous!

73 de Luck, WA4STO

KC9TNH

Quote from: ttabs on November 27, 2012, 06:23:39 PMI see lots of views and no comments. Hmmmmm......
The whole presentation is nice, and makes for digestable chunks to follow along; very nice of you to share all this. I'll check this all out from the home computer at oh-dark-thirty as the work box blocks the pics.

You didn't happen to mention whether you particularly need one at this location but a question popped into my head when you mentioned your well pump.  This may of interest to those approaching more urbanized settings too, or at flood risk:

Given the startup surge of a typical small home sump pump (say, 1/4HP), which can vary depending upon how much the water column it initially has to lift, and given YOUR setup, would you make adjustments within your solution for a regular sump-pump or would you setup operation of a DC-powered one, say a marine-type device?

And for those who don't already have a robust menu of connection options (and just need some basic critical items functioning) any recommendations to isolate a DC-powered version from other devices, or would a completely discrete power source best? (Yep, you caught me! I'm looking at prioritizing likely/credible threat to the Castle and what bang vs. buck to throw against that.)
Thanks!

(tagged for home viewing) :)

cockpitbob

Quote from: ttabs on November 27, 2012, 06:23:39 PM
I see lots of views and no comments. Hmmmmm......
We're either speechless or too jealous  :)

gil

QuoteWe're either speechless or too jealous

It's only the most comprehensive article ever posted here  :o

Gil.

White Tiger

By the way ttabs, how does one come to have all of this specialized equipment "laying" around?

Methinks me smells a salesman, or installer...(not that there's anything wrong with being a salesman...as I are one myself)...indelicate terms...you se a bit like a zebra!

ttabs

Quote from: KC9TNH on December 06, 2012, 12:42:00 PM
Given the startup surge of a typical small home sump pump (say, 1/4HP), which can vary depending upon how much the water column it initially has to lift, and given YOUR setup, would you make adjustments within your solution for a regular sump-pump or would you setup operation of a DC-powered one, say a marine-type device?

Sump pumps are a whole diff story to consider.  I have a sump sys in my basement and own a marine type 12v sump pump.  So yes - I have the ability to run my sump off of the 12v sys.   My situation is this.  Being up in the Clearwater Mtns with about 5' of standing snow, consider the snow loads that slide off my 50'x50' shop, I have to deal with huge amounts of ground water in late March and April.  Two years ago, I came up to the cabin to discover 6" of water in my basement (and rising) so we went into Emergency Flood Control mode and installed a sump sys.  My pumps were kicking on every minute or so (for about 4 weeks!)   Then again last year, the power went out for a short spell which slightly flooded the basement again while I was away. 

Enough of that stuff!  I had a crew come in and install a tile sys this past June to run that water 300' to a meadow below my basement floor level.  Won't know till late March the success of that project but we are all very hopeful it will drain by gravity and require no pumps at all. 

My point is if you need a sump pump, consider how much work it will need to do under the worst scenario and ask the question - 'Do I have enough battery power to hold the front line for an extended period?'.  I would not as I was pumping 13 gal every two minutes!   (thus the tile solution). 

I could use a regular 120v sump pump off my inverter, but chose instead to use a 12v marine pump.  In fact - I'd recommend getting two so if one fails, the other will pick up the slack.  Picked mine up on eBay. 

ttabs

Quote from: White Tiger on December 06, 2012, 03:36:35 PM
By the way ttabs, how does one come to have all of this specialized equipment "laying" around?

lol - I studied up on this stuff several years ago and decided it was important to have things available - just not installed and functioning. My project list was too long to do all the installs.   So I ordered up all the components and simply stored them safely away.  This included the panels, charge controlers, batteries, inverters, and 8 AWG wire.  Well, with the radio project in full swing this past summer, I figured why not install one of the solar systems and see how it goes.   

There is a warning out there about 'testing and using' your systems now while you can get any help, components, etc... you need easily.  If SHTF, there may likely be no external resources available to get something up and running then. That was why I had things 'laying around'.  It was time to put them to use. 

BTW - I did need help on dip switch settings in the charge controler, and I purchased the fuses and Bogart monitor as a result of this project.  Very worthy components and part of my 'lessons learned'. 

White Tiger

I didn't mean to sound accusatory...I appreciate the information you shared! I actually have an interest in this - began talking to Luck WA4STO about this topic almost 4 months ago...I also have a friend who has a solar business in North Florida. I've been thinking it is a perfect thing to support comms and emergency energy requirements.

I simply have no knack for the technical realm. I'm a hard worker and if I have an interest, I determine to understand something...I just have this mental block about actually starting technical projects (and truth be told, I am probably a bit jealous of those who seem to pick this stuff up so "naturally")!

If I were to want to assemble the equipment to first just run my radio/shack (powering a 2m and HF radios, emergency lighting, etc.)...what would you advise I'd need to acquire, first?

ttabs

Good question and I have a great answer for you.   I just recently listened to a fella on a podcast who discusses all this stuff in great detail!!!  Go to his website at www.battery1234.com and download both his podcasts!  He will walk you through this project with amazing clarity. 

To learn more about this subject, download both the podcasts at:

http://www.battery1234.com/

I have since added a 10a battery charger (that he recommends) to my battery bank and now am considering taking down my solar panels after I have given them a good testing for functionality.  I'll stow them along with my charge controler away for a rainy day.

(sorry for the late reply - I'm not being notified of new posts on this thread)

White Tiger

Quote from: ttabs on January 08, 2013, 09:52:49 AM
Good question and I have a great answer for you.   I just recently listened to a fella on a podcast who discusses all this stuff in great detail!!!  Go to his website at www.battery1234.com and download both his podcasts!  He will walk you through this project with amazing clarity. 

I will visit - thanks for the link!
I have since added a 10a battery charger (that he recommends) to my battery bank and now am considering taking down my solar panels after I have given them a good testing for functionality.  I'll stow them along with my charge controler away for a rainy day.
After reading about the new missile delivered EMP bombs and Carrington events (especially considering we're heading into the maximum portion of the solar cycle) - have any plans to use a Farrady cage to stow them?
I think there is a link on the thread that allows you to subscribe to it...if you've listed an email link on your profile, then it will send you an update.

KC9TNH

Likewise, must've missed the notification of your response (and the holiday period a bit hectic). So a belated thanks to discussing your specific sump pump situation. Good luck with the tiling out approach; that would've been my call also.

Thanks again for sharing.

recon_prepper

I was lurking but guess I should respond. :) Thank you for posting looks like a nice outfit you have there. Maybe one day I will clean up my setup and post photos on here as well. I just never seem to have the time.
Thanks again and love the setup :)

White Tiger

Oh man - great stuff ttabs!

I also wanted to pass on some information from a book I ordered from ARRL called "Emergency Power For Radio Communications" and I just finished the part about batteries - it touches on some detailed information regarding solar and wind...of which batteries make up a large part of all of these systems, too. Maybe for some of you guys it might be rudimentary - for a novice like me it was very helpful.

Thanks again for the link!