PREPNET testing has begun -- you can participate

Started by WA4STO, November 24, 2012, 10:30:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Tiger

I think I know what we are morphing into - but I want to make sure.

Prepnet as a concept is still around, we're just changing the mode/method of communication within Prepnet, right?

We're going from a very loose message passing system - to one where there are more established/better maintained pathways , with less traffic...right?

This will however require additional reading and some affordable/easily attainable equipment...

...is that about the size of it?
If you're looking for me, you're probably looking in the wrong place.

WA4STO

Geez, Tim; you nailed it.

See, you have it better than I do.  You're so very close to a 'citified' VHF atmosphere, with a ton of active amateurs.

Which means that, while I have to do everything on HF, you can gain entry to the digital systems by way of your VHF transceiver and an el-cheapo terminal node controller.

The TNC can be on a free loan basis, by way of the NTSD equipment bank, but you would need to commit to participating to at least a minimal level.  No money involved there in any way.

Or you could do it the way I did.  I had an old Kantronics KAM.  It was a multimode TNC but it was so old that it just couldn't do one of the critical modes (Pactor I) that we rely on, on at least the local level, in addition to VHF packet.  So I sent it to the equipment bank, they upfitted it for free and that was that.  Later, we decided to swap my KAM for a PK232MBX which I was more familiar with.  I'm pleased that I did that; it has just a TON of blinky/flashy LEDS.  yellow / red / green.  Cool!

So, again, yerrite; it's cheap (50-ish used for several different brands) and it offers you all that much more flexibility in your prepping/communications planning.  And there's that error-free thing.  And the no-internet thing.  And the huge existing infrastructure to get you info from most anywhere thing.  And, oh, you gettit.

73 de Luck, WA4STO

P.S. Did I sucker you into this ham radio thing, really big-time? Snicker / Snark / Guffaw!

White Tiger

Quote from: WA4STO on February 24, 2013, 12:13:16 PM
Geez, Tim; you nailed it.

See, you have it better than I do.  You're so very close to a 'citified' VHF atmosphere, with a ton of active amateurs.

Which means that, while I have to do everything on HF, you can gain entry to the digital systems by way of your VHF transceiver and an el-cheapo terminal node controller.

The TNC can be on a free loan basis, by way of the NTSD equipment bank, but you would need to commit to participating to at least a minimal level.  No money involved there in any way.

Or you could do it the way I did.  I had an old Kantronics KAM.  It was a multimode TNC but it was so old that it just couldn't do one of the critical modes (Pactor I) that we rely on, on at least the local level, in addition to VHF packet.  So I sent it to the equipment bank, they upfitted it for free and that was that.  Later, we decided to swap my KAM for a PK232MBX which I was more familiar with.  I'm pleased that I did that; it has just a TON of blinky/flashy LEDS.  yellow / red / green.  Cool!

So, again, yerrite; it's cheap (50-ish used for several different brands) and it offers you all that much more flexibility in your prepping/communications planning.  And there's that error-free thing.  And the no-internet thing.  And the huge existing infrastructure to get you info from most anywhere thing.  And, oh, you gettit.

73 de Luck, WA4STO

P.S. Did I sucker you into this ham radio thing, really big-time? Snicker / Snark / Guffaw!
I wandered in of my own free will...

...now, what happened after that is a bit of a blur!
If you're looking for me, you're probably looking in the wrong place.

KC9TNH

Quote from: WA4STO on February 23, 2013, 07:48:59 PM
In the time between then and now, however, I discovered that the hierarchy of the National Traffic System had quit being so parochial and in the past few years has taken rather extreme strides to, well, allow for #1 above.
I'm curious; can you expand on that?

Something madball said above, I think he used that "sitrep word", triggered a thought as to what might be a means of utilizing WINMOR, while expanding the 'net' capability. A SITREP  (or an NTS gram for that matter) is usually pre-formatted to the nth degree because doing so takes out alot of the overhead of transmission. One doesn't even usually include the headings or titles of information categories because the nature of the format ASSUMES what that item is - e.g., if item 3 is local forecast you don't transmit "local forecast:" and then the actual forecast, you just send the forecast info as Line 3.

Humor me, going off in a cloud here, so thrash & trash to your heart's content, this is just "for instance" type stuff:

The NTS methodology (not necessarily the specific system) could be used to share info in a WINMOR transmitted SITREP, heirarchy to be figured out later. Someone who doesn't have WINMOR capability could get the info via being "guarded for" by some other member who has a means to get the SITREP -AND- re-trans it via some other means to that person, e.g., via a weekly CW or SSB schedule.

Some discussion would be necessary, and could largely take place in the open, about what's important to include in a brief SITREP. I only suggested weekly (or longer maybe) because we're not talking operational stuff that may be both close-hold and quickly rendered obsolete. The topic of a report could be something as simple as some mutually agreed-upon items of information that give an overview, for the sending operator's locale, of some condition.  Might be economic, maybe political, maybe prep-related shortages of goods, whatever.

Including other modes might not hurt others' practice/learning curve as well and, unlike a ragchew, receiving traffic intended to be relayed means you either get 100% copy, or you don't. Kinda binary, like CW.  ;D

OK, going to decaf and hittin' the noodle palace for some chow.

madball13

Excatly.

Here is my thoughts/rambling. The NTS system has a specific purpose that may or may not match our collective need for information, I envision a group of us with communication ability from all points of the US be able to disseminate situational assessments from our own corner of the US. Every week i send a winlink message to everyone in our group real data from my area such as weather and other factual items. This will get us in the habit of using the system and in time of actual need the system will be set up and ready to go.

WA4STO

You guys have it exactly right.

The surprising thing -- to me, anyway -- was that NTS has morphed.  Big time.  Now they have the desire, not to mention the infrastructure to handle stuff in any format the the amateur or even the served agency wants.

Here's a quote that might prove interesting:

---------------
6.2.7.2 RADIO-EMAIL WITH WL2K AND INTERNET ADDRESSES

TYPE 2 - TO ANY TARGET STATION(S)

Messaging in the standard email format (not containing active text Radiograms) with multiple addressees, copies and binary attachments may be sent via WL2K to any ARES?, NTS, or NTSD client; or sent through the WL2K public internet interface. Receipt of such Radio-email for the public or served-agencies may be confirmed, as deemed necessary, by reply Radio-email upon request. See the MPG6A8 Batch File & Plain Text Guidance, 6A8.2.

Forms such as the ICS-213 used in NIMS/ICS compliant communications may simply be attached to Radio-email (in text format, preferred, as opposed to large document form files). Multiple form messages of that type to separate addressees may be included as multiple attachments in Radio-email to a single site client. Messages for multiple registered Tactical Addresses are posted on WL2K as though they were separate client accounts, but are delivered to the client station which registered them. Each Tactical Address client then collects its mail by accessing the amateur station?s built-in Paclink server.
--------------

Note the use of the term "IC-213".  I've never received one or sent one.  but I understand that it is but one of numerous formats of message that now can be sent via NTS(D).

Hey, I still love to handle old-style NTS messages.  But I gain even more delight by the fact that we've successfully (but nowhere near completely) reached out and can now handle SO much more.  It's just super.

73 de WA4STO

madball13

How do I initiate a message to people here or in my life through NTS?

WA4STO

Quote from: madball13 on February 24, 2013, 11:33:23 PM
How do I initiate a message to people here or in my life through NTS?

Numerous ways, although a lot depends on what equipment (amateur radio, internet, telephone, whatever) you have as well as what information you have on your correspondents, such as whether they have telephone, internet, ham radio, etc.

One way (one of 'numerous') is to send me the message, along with the addressees delivery info.  If you have entry points to the local (to you) NTSD system, you can enter it there, addressed directly to the recipients.  Or to me.  Or to your local NTSD node.

Agreed, it sounds crazy to send a message destined for your local community to a node somewhere halfway across the country.  But that's the nature of HF communications, and it works well.

Having said all this and realizing that you're already well connected to the WINMOR groups, I'm quite sure you had a much more specific answer in mind.  If you could reword the question so as to include info on what your specific capabilities are (VHF packet only, 40 meter P1, P2, P3 only, internet only, whatever) I can help you zero in on what you'll need to plan for, in order to guarantee successful communications with your friends and family.

This is a topic I can love!

73 de WA4STO