Winmor speeds and thruput

Started by WA4STO, November 26, 2012, 06:08:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Tiger

Quote from: WA4STO on November 29, 2012, 06:16:06 PM
Quote from: White Tiger on November 29, 2012, 03:57:02 PM
So long as we don't have to wear polyester and cable knit ponchos...

No, but bell-bottoms maybe, tie-dyed teeshirts probably, and peace signs everywhere -- definitely!

I will draw the line with anybody wanting to stick flowers in my gun barrels...

73 de Luck, WA4STO

I used to rock bell bottoms, then again, it was the 7th grade...

I'm with you on the flowers in gun barrels, only one thing was made for gun barrels...
If you're looking for me, you're probably looking in the wrong place.

RadioRay

Radio Commune . . . maaaaaan!
Here's a pic of the Groovy Mobile Emergency Operations Center - - -  Whoooooa!

We're -like- gowin' to Arkansas maaaaan!  It's like Woodstock, only with MRE's and Raaaaaay-deeeeee-ooooooos, Maaan!!!

>de RadioRay
"When we cannot do the good we would, we must be ready to do the good we can."  ~ Matthew Henry

KC9TNH

Quote from: RadioRay on November 30, 2012, 10:23:50 AMWe're -like- gowin' to Arkansas maaaaan!  It's like Woodstock, only with MRE's and Raaaaaay-deeeeee-ooooooos, Maaan!!!

>de RadioRay
Did I hear banjos....?
???

WA4STO

WINMOR continues to amaze me:

; W0ECM-10 DE WA4STO (EN10UP)
   FC EM 63EM1533R64D 335 259 0
   FC EM 7BAY1UTHZX8O 1141 758 0
   FC EM 86BS9R3O83I0 1513 971 0
   F> DE
FS YYY
*** Sending 63EM1533R64D...
*** Sending 7BAY1UTHZX8O...
*** Sending 86BS9R3O83I0...
FF
*** Completed send of message 63EM1533R64D...
*** Completed send of message 7BAY1UTHZX8O...
*** Completed send of message 86BS9R3O83I0...
   FQ
*** Disconnecting.
*** Disconnected from WL2K RMS: W0ECM-10 @ 2012/12/19 14:19:48
*** Session: 2.6 min;  Avg Thruput: 909 Bytes/min;   1 Min Peak Thruput: 1826 Bytes/min

The 'amazin' part relates to WINMOR's ability to implement a software "gearshift" such that -- as conditions permit -- the speed of data transfer rises (or drops!) to the level that propagation and QRN allow for.

This morning, 40 meters was full of QRN.  Just yucky.  Took me nine (automatic) attempts to connect to the system, but once connected, it managed to achieve a higher rate of transfer than I'd ever seen before on HF. 

I also note that the WINMOR development team continues to make very substantial updates to their (free!) applications

Best 73 de Luck, WA4STO

KC9TNH

I've noticed the same thing. I have a few "go-to" relays in my favorites, but still find it a big multiplier that I can quickly pick a station that may not be ranked as high but, based on knowledge of how the wires play, get through even better. And while it's very, very good at detecting a truly busy channel, listening I can sometimes deduce that it's picking up splatter by our friends to the North who're (legally) running LSB SSB on what we think of as digital areas in our band plan. After some knob twirling to establish this, and that it's not a conflicting digital session, I can still tell it to "go ahead" and things work 5x5.

Just for giggles I'll probably fire up the base rig tomorrow sometime on batt (anticipating home due to inbound blizzard) and, again, appreciate the low power requirements in between snow-PT sessions. The accompanying wind will be a good test of a 'western union' splice I made to my end-fed awhile back.

ho ho ho
:)

WA4STO

Yah, we're expecting 8 inches here ourselves.

And I just gave my little 2-stroke sno-blower away.  So the car will stay in the garage while we enjoy the fruits of our own prepping.

Optimas are all charged up, Winmor power levels are all charged down.

73 de Luck, WA4STO

White Tiger

Quote from: WA4STO on December 19, 2012, 12:52:18 PM
Yah, we're expecting 8 inches here ourselves.

And I just gave my little 2-stroke sno-blower away.  So the car will stay in the garage while we enjoy the fruits of our own prepping.

Optimas are all charged up, Winmor power levels are all charged down.

73 de Luck, WA4STO

Good luck!

WA4STO

Oh, we survived just fine. 

The blind terrier, however, is not so sure.  I plunked a 2 meter "homing device" on him just before setting him down in the snow to do his business.  My RDF gear sez he's still on the property.  Unless he shook the device off.  Wait, what's that over in the snow drift?

The cat?  He's pissed.  Ice all over the deck railing so he refuses to jump up to the bird feeders for breakfast.

73 de Luck, WA4STO

White Tiger

Quote from: WA4STO on December 20, 2012, 10:23:05 AM

The blind terrier, however, is not so sure.  I plunked a 2 meter "homing device" on him just before setting him down in the snow to do his business.  My RDF gear sez he's still on the property.  Unless he shook the device off.  Wait, what's that over in the snow drift?

The cat?  He's pissed.  Ice all over the deck railing so he refuses to jump up to the bird feeders for breakfast.

73 de Luck, WA4STO

Good to see all is well in greater WA4STO-via!

KC9TNH

Glad to hear that. We got (and are still getting) what you got.
Still under blizzard warning; snow not as heavy but 25-35G55 winds making things sporty on the roads.
40m certainly cracklin' though - ran a net at 1600 CST and had some awesome barefoot signals checking in.

I did jump briefly over to 20m and fire up the amp and a wire headed low-angle southwest. Not heresy, it's called clearing off the snow & ice loading on the feedpoint.
;D

Bad wx outside = radio inside while smelling HH6 making fudge.

White Tiger

Quote from: KC9TNH on December 20, 2012, 06:36:52 PM
Glad to hear that. We got (and are still getting) what you got.
Still under blizzard warning; snow not as heavy but 25-35G55 winds making things sporty on the roads.
40m certainly cracklin' though - ran a net at 1600 CST and had some awesome barefoot signals checking in.

I did jump briefly over to 20m and fire up the amp and a wire headed low-angle southwest. Not heresy, it's called clearing off the snow & ice loading on the feedpoint.
;D

Bad wx outside = radio inside while smelling HH6 making fudge.

Sound like a wonderful weekend awaits the prepared!