typhoon bopha ... preparedness helped a lot

Started by DW6WAJ, December 05, 2012, 08:09:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DW6WAJ

we were hit by typhoon bopha here in the central part of the philippines all we have in stored for food was instant noodles and cans of sardines... for communications vhf radio is much more effective from iloilo city to negross island the tank of water we have can still last for a week

cockpitbob

Hi Anthony,
Here in the U.S. I wasn't aware you were getting hit hard, but it looks bad according to this news article.  It looks like the center passed 350KM south of you so I assume you weren't hit real hard.  You have internet, so I assume you have power.  How long do you think it will be until things return to normal?
I see from QRZ.com that you have your General ticket.  Has it been of much use during the typhoon?
Bob

KC9TNH

Quote from: DV6WAJ on December 05, 2012, 08:09:21 AM... for communications vhf radio is much more effective from iloilo city to negross island the tank of water we have can still last for a week.
First, thank you for visiting and glad you are with us.  Do you have a pretty good VHF repeater network? Is that a capability that's pretty prevalent with many people.
Again, thanks for letting us know you're OK as well as what's working. A sudden change to instant noodles & sardines for an extended period can't be fun either.  Been there done that.
Be well & let us know. We can all learn from real events. :)

DW6WAJ

Quote from: cockpitbob on December 05, 2012, 08:42:12 AM
Hi Anthony,
Here in the U.S. I wasn't aware you were getting hit hard, but it looks bad according to this news article.  It looks like the center passed 350KM south of you so I assume you weren't hit real hard.  You have internet, so I assume you have power.  How long do you think it will be until things return to normal?
I see from QRZ.com that you have your General ticket.  Has it been of much use during the typhoon?
Bob
right bob hit south of us and blackout for a 4 hours and power came back later planes got grounded also pasenger ferry

DW6WAJ

another one WP93 getting momentum and forecast to hit us on christmas  our island of panay in the philippines will again get isolated

gil

Best wishes to you Anthony...
I still might move to your island some day  :)

Gil.