What - is - THAT ?

Started by KC9TNH, January 27, 2013, 08:47:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KC9TNH

I gotta ask someone here, maybe someone even has one.

There is a device I hear on the bands doing CW that is so, well, gross to my middle-A sidetone brain that I just wonder what it is. It sounds like a cross between a George Lukas blaster sound-effect from Star Wars, and Edgar Winters' synth solo on the record Frankenstein.

What IS that thing?  I'd rather listen to old re-runs of "Run Silent, Run Deep."
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

:o

gil

It might be a Hartley or TNT transmitter..

I am building one..

Gil.

KC9TNH

Hmmm. Maybe, thanks.  If so, and it's the transmitter, then that would explain why it's still copyable, because of the clean transition the on/off binary characteristic of code is still being done by a key. But mercy, what a tone...

gil

QuoteBut mercy, what a tone...

Well, it all depends on your perception. Certainly, it doesn't make it easier to copy, but I love it. When I hear one, I know the operator went through the effort of building or restoring a 1930 or thereabout piece of history.

Gil.

KC9TNH

Yeah, that's cool, I get all that. So what is it in that type of gear that causes that kind of modulation?

gil

QuoteSo what is it in that type of gear that causes that kind of modulation?

I am no expert, but I would assume the frequency drifts significantly because of environmental interractions. The power supply voltage also isn't regulated by a zener diode or anything else. Someone more knowledgeable might have another explanation...

Gil.

KC9TNH

Ahhh.  OK, work filter previously blocked that it was a vid you posted, thought I was just looking at a pic.  Watched the vid.  So, extremely sensitive to vibration, as well as hand-capacitance.  Got it.
Thanks.

Being able to hear it from the vid, perhaps when/if I end up in QSO with one I'll adjust my own sidetone to a higher pitch so that zero-beating won't result in the same effect when that Led Zeppelin theremin effect is down at 400hZ.

gil

The simplicity of the circuit is elegant. That's what I like about it.. Or maybe it's because I don't understand anything more complicated  ::) Those transmitters look great too, like out of a Jules Verne story!

Gil.

KC9TNH

Quote from: gil on January 28, 2013, 11:41:21 AMThose transmitters look great too, like out of a Jules Verne story!
You've nailed it! What you need is a Tesla coil going in the background for ambience.
:)

gil

QuoteWhat you need is a Tesla coil going in the background for ambience.

LOL yes, and wear a lab coat...!

Gil.