Instant coffee

Started by kc0rzw, February 24, 2013, 11:19:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kc0rzw

Not radio related, but I thought it was worth a mention.  I don't normally drink coffee at home, as I prefer a cold mountain dew to drink.  Having run out, the only caffeine available to me was a jar of instant coffee my mother in law drinks when she visits.  This stuff is absolutely horrible.  It is so bad, I am really tempted to just live with the headache and dump it out.  My point being, it would definitely be worth preparing to make coffee without the aid of a coffee maker.  Having never tried myself, I did some google searching.  Doesn't look difficult, but a permanent stainless steel filter would be something to invest in, as paper filters may become a hot commodity.  Done with my rant now, back to radio :)

WA4STO

Quote from: kc0rzw on February 24, 2013, 11:19:56 AMMy point being, it would definitely be worth preparing to make coffee without the aid of a coffee maker.

I've got a couple of non-electric coffee makers in my prep stash:

and

Both use nary a milliwatt of legtricity, relying instead on the Coleman propane stove.  Or, if you're into campfires...

Best 73 de "Luck" WA4STO

kc0rzw

Nice.  I may have to look into something like that.

RadioRay

Vietnamese drip "filter".

Intense coffee flavor, uses minimal coffee, Hot water poured into the top and YUMMY caffinated bean juice out the bottom. My #1 coffee 'machine'. 

-or-

Stove top espresso maker:

Always remember your long term storage NEEDS tins of sweetended condensed milk for coffee and for making 'milk' for grain based breakfasts and thickening sauces. I probably had 12-20 tins aboard the old sailboat at any given time.

Both of the above are available on-line through Amazon.com 

>de RadioRay ..._ ._
"When we cannot do the good we would, we must be ready to do the good we can."  ~ Matthew Henry

Frosty

Everyday offgrid use here.  I like the taste better than out of a coffee maker.  Get a stainless steel one, the cheap tin kind have an off taste imo.

gil

In 2011, my (ex) girlfriend and I went on a 13,000 miles trip across the West. We had a French press and it worked great! There is no filter to change. Just put the coffee in, the metal mesh filter and add boiling water. Et voila! Nothing easier..

Gil.

Geek

For some of us, the percolators shown are what we grew up with.  The drip style coffee makers are new.  They caught on quickly because they brew the coffee faster and pretty much drove the old percolators off the market.