Using a Pig-Rig as a backup communication system

Started by raysills, March 14, 2013, 10:43:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

raysills

Hi Gang:

Some of you may have heard of the Pig-Rig by W8DIZ... <www.Kitsandparts.com>  Anyway, it seems to me it could be an excellent simple backup rig that might get you on the air if your main rig is not operational.  It operates on just one frequency, which is a limitation, but possibly a blessing.  If some disaster scenario came to pass, it would be nice to be able to contact others in the group, to see how they are doing.  With a single frequency, you'd know right where to look.

The rig is CW only, but seems to offer good sensitivity and selectivity on receive, and a transmitter with 5 watts output with a 13.6V supply.  So, I'd guess it would be good for 4 watts on 12VDC from a battery.  The operating frequency is 7.030.7 KHz.  The 40 meter band offers good daytime and nighttime propagation, and you can use a NVIS type antenna, which should not be too difficult to erect in emergency situations. 

And the price is very reasonable...$40.  You would need a case or small metal box to house it.  It's very compact, so it could make a nice little rig to stash inside a faraday type enclosure for EMP and solar flare protection.

Anyway, it stuck me that it could serve nicely as an emergency rig.  What do you think?

73 de Ray
K2ULR

gil

Hello Ray,

Looks like a great kit! I love those small CW rigs, and in my opinion there is nothing better for SHTF communications. I have built two Rock-Mites as backups, and they work great. 5W gives you an advantage to about 1W with a Rock-Mite and upgraded transistor. It's a little bigger, but the price is right.. I wouldn't hesitate... Had I not two other projects I want to buy right now, I would get one.. 40m is my favorite band, even though antenna length is a pain sometimes...

If you build one, please post a build log with photos here!

Gil.

raysills

Well, it certainly seem to me like if would be a nice SHTF rig... and fun to use in calm circumstances.   :)

It would be -really- nice if the San Luis Obispo Machine Works (American Morse) would devise a rugged hog-out aluminum case for it, as they have done for the Rock Mite.  I have a Rock Mite, but it's set for 7.040.. the one-time
QRP frequency for US use.  OK... it's still used that way, but many have now migrated to 7.030 to be in line with the usage world-wide.

One nice thing about Diz's kit is that it's all standard parts.  The idea of having to fit some SMD parts scares away a lot of would-be kit builders.  If I get the kit, I'll document the build. :)

73 de Ray
K2ULR

gil

Yep, I have the DCP paddle and two Mighty Boxes for my Rock Mites... He does good work... SMD isn't too bad, but you need to take your time and a good magnifying lens! I should be getting a Weber MTR soon if all goes well, that will be an amazing radio. Not easy to build though.. Look into Hammond cast aluminum boxes...

Gil.