Armor plates and plate carriers

Started by Joe, April 22, 2013, 05:50:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe

This might be to the extreme of some of your preps but I wanted to share. I had the chance to take a look at these plates compared to the SAPI plates, these are lighter and about the same size. I don't have a actual weight I was holding a carrier in one hand that had SAPI plates and one with these in it and it was noticeably lighter. Ballistic wise they are the same. Know for the nice part for the raw steal ones are $134.00 with out carrier, The SAPI plates run around $400.00.

Alot of the guys I know on the Sheriffs department are switching to these instead of the SAPI because of the price and more important the weight. They have carriers for these also you mat actually spend more on the carrier than the plates. Right know there is about a 3 week lead time on orders placed. I plan on ordering a set next month when the funds are available.

http://thetargetman.com/?product=ar500-armor-1-formed-and-1-flat-10x12-plate-set

73 Joe

madball13

I got a set of heavys they are solid. We took one, not one of mine, and put easily 4k rounds on it as a target and barely dented the plate.

gil

I would be worried about spatter and ricochets...

Gil.

madball13

Quote from: gil on April 23, 2013, 10:45:46 AM
I would be worried about spatter and ricochets...

Gil.

defiantly a concern but i would rather some splatter than a direct to the chest. got a buddy testing a combination of materials to add to steel plates that would eliminate splatter.

Joe

They offer the option to have them Rhino Lined, that takes care of the splatter, but adds 4 weeks to ship time. Or you can take the raw plates to a local bed liner shop and have them sprayed.

gil

Quotegot a buddy testing a combination of materials to add to steel plates that would eliminate splatter.

That would be a must. I imagine falling backwards and being hit in the chest, with the projectile sliding on the plate into your throat and head... Or leaning forward and getting it in the family jewels... Not good.

Gil.