What are your best short-wave listening frequencies?

Started by gil, April 25, 2013, 07:48:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quietguy

Can I tag along here and ask what are your best sources of frequencies and broadcast schedules?  I was looking at the NASWA site last night and it isn't clear they are still active... most of their website is very dated.
http://www.naswa.net/

Thanks,
Wally

EmptySpaces

A few I've made note of recently:

Radio Australia 21.740mhz   afternoons I believe this is the Western Pacific broadcast. Good signal.

BBC 6.195mhz  mid morning 9am. Signal weak but OK for listening. Note: BBC no longer xmits to the US so this was beamed somewhere else.

Taiwan 15.440mhz  Did not note time but probably afternoon.

CRI (China) 9.570mhz Early evening around 8PM (They even give lessons on speaking Chinese!)

VOA (broadcast to Africa) 17.895mhz Mid day around 1PM

All times CDT.  My location is in the south central US.

I've excluded the domestic religious stations because they can be received by simply chewing on a piece of tinfoil between metal fillings.

KK0G

Quote from: EmptySpaces on April 28, 2013, 07:29:39 PM
A few I've made note of recently:

Radio Australia 21.740mhz   afternoons I believe this is the Western Pacific broadcast. Good signal.

BBC 6.195mhz  mid morning 9am. Signal weak but OK for listening. Note: BBC no longer xmits to the US so this was beamed somewhere else.

Taiwan 15.440mhz  Did not note time but probably afternoon.

CRI (China) 9.570mhz Early evening around 8PM (They even give lessons on speaking Chinese!)

VOA (broadcast to Africa) 17.895mhz Mid day around 1PM

All times CDT.  My location is in the south central US.

I've excluded the domestic religious stations because they can be received by simply chewing on a piece of tinfoil between metal fillings.

I've heard most of those in the past few weeks. I also heard radio Australia on 12.065 at 1500 UTC Sun.

Caught VOA right before sign off at 0200 UTC Tue.

Radio Romania International on 9.645 and 11.955 at 0000 UTC
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety" - Benjamin Franklin

KK0G

KC9TNH

Quote from: Quietguy on April 25, 2013, 09:38:16 PM
Can I tag along here and ask what are your best sources of frequencies and broadcast schedules?  I was looking at the NASWA site last night and it isn't clear they are still active... most of their website is very dated.
http://www.naswa.net/

Thanks,
Wally
Hi Wally, was gonna post this anyway for those who may still be doing SWL anyway, which is quite fine. This site seems to keep things fairly updated (broadcasts to the Americas):

http://www.primetimeshortwave.com/america.txt

Basic site is interesting as well. If you want something for when the net is down (something about that Boy Scout motto, eh?) you can scroll down the left side of the main page and find the whole shebang, organized by time, in a light-payload Excel spreadsheet right there for the downloading.
:)

Quietguy

Thanks, the spreadsheet is interesting.  You can plug in the current time and it flags the stations that are supposed to be currently broadcasting.  Also, joining their Yahoo group provides a daily digest of SWL activity.

Thanks,
Wally