End fed 40M half wave.

Started by Joe, May 07, 2013, 01:18:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe

The home brew bug has bit me, besides it keeps me off the streets and for the most part out of trouble.  ;)  I am building a RockMite 40m. I am looking for a compact quick deploy antenna. I was leaning towards a LNR Trail-Friendly, but I came across a home brew 40m end fed http://www.earchi.org/92011endfedfiles/Endfed40.pdf. I checked and can order all the parts I don't have and will cost about $35.00, the LNR goes for $75.00.  :o

Just looking for feedback on if this would be a good build as described.

73 Joe

gil

Hello Joe,

Look at this: http://betterqrp.com

Works like a charm and you get a SWR indicator...

Gil.

KK0G

Or for only $30 you could buy a SOTA Tuner kit - http://www.qrpkits.com/sota.html - which will result in the same thing plus the ability to tune a 40-15M EFHW, plus you'd get an SWR indicator. That's what I'd do if it were me............. come to think of it that's exactly what I did  8)
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety" - Benjamin Franklin

KK0G

KK0G

Whoops, I wasn't paying attention. I see Gil just recommended pretty much the same thing just a different brand.
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety" - Benjamin Franklin

KK0G

Joe

Hello Gil and KK0G, Thak You for the feedback I will look at both kits.

cockpitbob

I really like what Gil did, buying just the wire (with loading coil) from LNR.  Getting 63' of wire off the ground can be a pain.  If I get lazy I'll do the same, otherwise I'll play with winding my own.

gil

QuoteI really like what Gil did, buying just the wire (with loading coil) from LNR.  Getting 63' of wire off the ground can be a pain.  If I get lazy I'll do the same, otherwise I'll play with winding my own.

That worked really well! Larry art LNR precision sold me the wire/choke for $44. It is a lot, but combined with the BetterQRO end-fed tuner, you get a great combination.. I also have the SOTA tuner, but never use it.. Easier to hoist one end of the end-fed..

Gil.

KC9TNH

Thanks for all the links; the build manuals for the little tuners are neat. (Oh for more time but in 51 days that lament will be academic.)

Some folks eschew end-feds, but I really like them up at the farm property where I hunt. Besides being simple, when away from RFI-HellSuburbia, they're not as noisy as some make out. The shorter end-fed at the back of my property is a great listening antenna too being away from any utilities, 484 lasered yards away from the fairground lights, etc.

I might build one of these 2 tuners someday just because, or do it with a grand-daughter. (The Elecraft T1 is always in the bag anyway, bought along time ago when all I had was the 817 and this.)

One thing I've noticed with my end-fed at the back lot line:  I had the luxury of a long piece of superb coax and so climbed up & raised the fed end (at the south) to about 16' in the spruce, and the wire rises to about 27' in another tree to the north. I noticed that not only does it still play good back "over the shoulder" to the south & Gulf but, because both ends are off the ground noticeably, it also goes E-W really good like a dipole, almost a tri-directional. Just wondered if anyone has noticed that phenomena in playing with end-feds. It makes sense, I get it, but was just one of those bonus things that was, "Oh... cool!"
;D

As I ditch that 'w' word I just might have to build one of these little tuners, so thanks again.

Joe

Ordered the EFHW tunner from Better QRP.

What type of coax should I use for the feed line from radio to tuner, and what length should I start with? In the manual it states lengths of up to 3 feet give the most constent results.

I was thinking of using 18 AWG insulated strand wire for the antenna. But open for suggestions.

Thanks for all the help !!!

72 Joe

gil

Hello Joe,

I use 25' of coax (RG-174) with mine, no problem. My wire is 26AWG from http://thewireman.com/antennap.html #534. You don't need something as thick as 18AWG. That wire is thin but being copper-clad steel has a break strength of 25Lbs. Good thing is, it is hard to see... I used to buy the 18AWG (#532) but decided it was too thick.

Gil.

Joe

Quote from: gil on May 14, 2013, 01:49:24 AM
Hello Joe,

I use 25' of coax (RG-174) with mine, no problem. My wire is 26AWG from http://thewireman.com/antennap.html #534. You don't need something as thick as 18AWG. That wire is thin but being copper-clad steel has a break strength of 25Lbs. Good thing is, it is hard to see... I used to buy the 18AWG (#532) but decided it was too thick.

Gil.

Thank You Gil.

I will be ordering from them soon. Have to nock out some jobs before I can get back to building.

Joe

cockpitbob

An old ham once said "tuners are for wussies." 
That said, tuners make life much more convenient.  My main antenna is one 180' long wire connected to a tuner and I can work 160M - 10M with it.  Yes, it's a low performance compromise, but for me it beats making my yard a spider's web of resonant wires.

KC9TNH

Quote from: cockpitbob on June 05, 2013, 09:22:48 AM
An old ham once said "tuners are for wussies." 
That said, tuners make life much more convenient.  My main antenna is one 180' long wire connected to a tuner and I can work 160M - 10M with it.  Yes, it's a low performance compromise, but for me it beats making my yard a spider's web of resonant wires.
Annnnnd....Roger!
I know some of those guys; the same ones that, according to them on air, wouldn't be caught dead owning a balun or unun of any kind either. Digging a little bit I find they have the luxury of big acres and run lots of open-wire line to so many wires and obstacles in the air it looks like Heinz Guderian defending against Brit gliders on D-Day (at this writing 69 years ago the Dakotas were taking off for the French coast with their LGOPs about to bring the rain down on the Wehrmacht).

I don't have such luxuries, I don't' like RF in the shack or getting bit, and with the small circuits available today I'll happily pack a few extra ounces to toss up one piece of wire and be versatile.
8)

s2man

I've got acres, but no trees or poles (besides the power pole), so a big antenna is out for me, too.  Doing research into my future HF antenna I decided I could put an inverted V, bent leg, multi freq fan dipole on the gable end of my house and wrapped around the sides, or, a tunable magnetic loop, like gil's.  I suspect the mag loop will win.

gil

QuoteI've got acres, but no trees or poles (besides the power pole), so a big antenna is out for me, too.

A magnetic loop might serve you well.. See the antennas section.

Gil.