HF antenna and tuner for Yaesu FT 857-D

Started by medic photog, April 13, 2014, 07:44:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

medic photog

Looking for a multi band HF antenna and tuner that will compliment my Yaesu FT 857-D. I hear great things about the ULTIMAX 100 antenna, lots of folks in this area are using it and it doesn't cost too much. Now for a tuner to finish the HF side. I'm looking at either the MFJ-925 or the LDG YT-100, both are supposed to be made for the 857 but I have no idea which would be the better choice. I have an MFJ-874 peak reading SWR/wattmeter and can't say enough good about it. Anyone have any hands on with either antenna tuner?

Luigi

Go for the LDG tunner. MFJ is selling fine equipment with poor quality control. With MFJ you will get a good price but you will need to finish their manufacturing by obtaining missing parts or fixing errors. Seriously, they are a good company and mean well, but they really need to work on their QA. Once past the QA issues, the products are good.

I have a bolt on AT-xxx tuner from LDG that works with my Yaesu. It works very well with all sorts of wire dipoles. The tuner you seek out from LDG will work well for you. Be careful if you use it for 6 meters. You need to be very close to resonance on that band. Other than that it should serve you well.

Luigi

RichardSinFWTX

I use the LDG Z-11 Pro II tuner with my FT-857D.  It works great!  A friend recommended it to me and he was totally right.

madball13

Quote from: RichardSinFWTX on April 15, 2014, 08:30:11 AM
I use the LDG Z-11 Pro II tuner with my FT-857D.  It works great!  A friend recommended it to me and he was totally right.

same here. works great

Lamewolf

Forget the Ultimax antenna, and get an SGC-237 autotuner and a length of wire anywhere from 44' to 88'.  The Ultimax only has a 24' radiator which isn't too bad if you stick to the higher bands, but on the low bands it will be very inefficient !  With the SGC tuner, you mount it out next to the antenna which is directly connected to the tuner and then another ground wire or counterpoise wire is connected to the tuner's ground terminal.