Amplifier for Use With QRP Rigs

Started by RadioRay, May 08, 2013, 09:55:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RadioRay

I have been slowly working through some 'bugs' on my homebrew amplifier.  It looks like it is alive and STABLE.  I'll save the boring parts, but it was unstable above about 50 Watts.  In the application notes, there was a small entry stating that because of the HIGH gain of this amplifier, it is advisable to separate the input coax from the output.  Welllll DUH!  Ya' think?  Due to the small size of my 'shack' all coax goes into a common 'well' in the wall, between the 2x4's to save space.  After making it all neat tidy and segregated, the amp is now able to run at 140-150 Watts for my QRP rig's input of 1-2 Watts.  It looks better when it's neat and tidy too!

The amplifier components and PCB are available from Communications Concepts Inc.  Mine is the EB63A

>Ray

Ps. Now to make output filters for the other bands.

"When we cannot do the good we would, we must be ready to do the good we can."  ~ Matthew Henry

Joe

Congrats Ray   What is the power consumption ? I am thinking of building one but I also want to be able to run on emergency power (generator, battery bank).

Joe

KK0G

Sounds like a nice amp Ray but come on, we need photos! Is there a link to the application notes?
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety" - Benjamin Franklin

KK0G

RadioRay

It's showing 140-150 Watts on my MFJ meter, which means that it's somewhere between 1 to 1000 Watts.  Here is a link to the commercial site that sells what you need to build one.  These are not kits, but they are ALL components and the PC board.  The application notes and tech notes are at the bottom of the page.

Also - on my QRZ page, you can just barely see the amp on the top shelf of my radio nook.  I'll post some better pictures in a few days.

>Ray

Ps.  For fun, I hooked up my RockMite QRPp rig and called CQ - had a call come right back from a fellow in southern Germany.  We had a good conversation about how much I miss German bread...  ha ha
"When we cannot do the good we would, we must be ready to do the good we can."  ~ Matthew Henry

KC9TNH

Quote from: RadioRay on May 08, 2013, 09:55:09 PMDue to the small size of my 'shack' all coax goes into a common 'well' in the wall, between the 2x4's to save space.  After making it all neat tidy and segregated, the amp is now able to run at 140-150 Watts for my QRP rig's input of 1-2 Watts.
That is some pretty awesome efficiency. IIRC that's what I heard you running reduced once when on the skeds w/Gil, 40-50w. It was smooth. Nice job with the decorations around the "guest room" cabinet.  8)

KK0G

That's a pretty neat and tidy little shack Ray, much more so than my sprawling junk farm of a shack 8)
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety" - Benjamin Franklin

KK0G