40/20M sked tonight - 21 May 2013 ??

Started by KK0G, May 21, 2013, 07:58:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KK0G

Who's up for a sked tonight? I want to test out my new ATU in my KX1.
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety" - Benjamin Franklin

KK0G

RadioRay

I am .  40m /  20:00 central on 7068 +5 for QRM.  Before that, it's going to be terribly weak - too early.  An hour after that should be even better.

>de RadioRay ..._ ._
"When we cannot do the good we would, we must be ready to do the good we can."  ~ Matthew Henry

KK0G

Quote from: RadioRay on May 21, 2013, 08:03:00 PM
I am .  40m /  20:00 central on 7068 +5 for QRM.  Before that, it's going to be terribly weak - too early.  An hour after that should be even better.

>de RadioRay ..._ ._

I'll be there, you call me. If we cant make contact I'll listen again at 2100 CST, same frequency. See you there Ray.

Anyone else is welcome to join.
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety" - Benjamin Franklin

KK0G

RadioRay

"When we cannot do the good we would, we must be ready to do the good we can."  ~ Matthew Henry

KC9TNH

Looooong day; I'll rack out on the bunk next to the table with the 817's filter kicked in & see if the S-meter is enough to wake me up.

gil

Hi Guys,

Ray, I could barely copy you... Heard someone else very faintly, but could not copy. I still have some RF/keyer trouble... I think the recent solar flares did mess-up propagation these last few days... I was using my K1, 5W out into my PAR end-fed.

Gil.

RadioRay

Problem with nights on lower bands are the LOUD T-Storms. Chris copiedt 4 watts on KX1 but has to come back with 20W fore to hear him through the QRN. It is still early for forty between us.

KK0G

Well that's a confirmed KX1 to KX1 QRP contact on 40 meters but boy was it rough! Heavy QRN from static crashes made for difficult copy but good old reliable CW at less power than a flashlight still made it through - admittedly, barely made it through. Try that with SSB  ;D

Thanks Ray.

KK0G

RadioRay

You are welcome!  The path is just opening on 40m.  When you have thirty, we can use that earlier window, lower noise and etc. to make contact more easily.  The lower the freq, the higher the noise. We had to wait for forty to go long enough to reach between us.  It gets better as the night wears on.

>>> From about 23:00E / 22:00C  time is when forty should actually pick-up. On 40m 03 - 05 GMT is the forecast window.  I'll check here and e-mail to see if you're still awake to test tonight.

Good job!   

What is your antenna?  Mine is a Delta loop pointed roughly your direction.  I heard Gil on the 9pm shot, but he's almost exactly in the 40m null of the loop.

>Ray

KC9TNH

Well, I dozed off, vaguely heard Ray assessed at 3/459 after I paid attention, certainly workable though. No Chris till +10 after the hour at which time he woke me up & was e-z 579. 40m good for us'ns around here but, as Ray said, not much for long-haul till later. With the weather & QSB tough copy. Also concur 30m is an awesome band and very versatile. (I'd probably never have a CW only rig that didn't have 30 on it.)

I think your timetable is pretty solid Ray, as to when 40 just 'starts' to get interesting, and a few hours after that even. Till then it's "yawning & stretching" and the weather didn't help.

Nice to do these things & I learn stuff just from the way signals play off other antennas, on band 'x' at such & such time of day.

KK0G

Quote from: KC9TNH on May 22, 2013, 11:01:22 AM
Well, I dozed off, vaguely heard Ray assessed at 3/459 after I paid attention, certainly workable though. No Chris till +10 after the hour at which time he woke me up & was e-z 579. 40m good for us'ns around here but, as Ray said, not much for long-haul till later. With the weather & QSB tough copy. Also concur 30m is an awesome band and very versatile. (I'd probably never have a CW only rig that didn't have 30 on it.)

I think your timetable is pretty solid Ray, as to when 40 just 'starts' to get interesting, and a few hours after that even. Till then it's "yawning & stretching" and the weather didn't help.

Nice to do these things & I learn stuff just from the way signals play off other antennas, on band 'x' at such & such time of day.

Agreed. After 13 years as an active ham I'm still learning about
propagation, attempting to keep these skeds we've had over
the last few weeks has taught me a thing or two.

KK0G

KC9TNH

LOL. Part science, part black art.  8)