WA4STO (or anybody) - NTSD question

Started by Quietguy, May 21, 2013, 08:40:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quietguy

Is the NTSD net an ARRL function?  I see some information is on the ARRL website, but a lot of the details are on a private site. 

http://home.earthlink.net/~bscottmd/n_t_s_d.htm

I was wondering if NTSD is an extension of ARRL's old NTS, or if it is a separate function.

Thanks,
Wally

WA4STO

Hi Wally -- NTS(D) is the 'digital' side of the staid ole NTS.

It typically runs Pactor.  I use P1 since I'm too cheap to spend over a kilobuck for the proprietary P2 or P3 protocols and p4 isn't legal in the U.S.

You're to be forgiven for asking the question at all, since not all things NTS(D) are in the ARRL's Public Service Communications Manual yet.

At the risk of having you overdose on verbiage, take a peek here http://wx4j.com/MPG6V12.htm

Best 73

Luck, WA4STO
ARRL A1-operator, BPL Medallion holder
VUCC Satellite (all CW)
NTS(D) Digital Relay Station, Central Area
NTS(D) Target Station, CAN, TEN & NE
TCC Station ?Fox?

Quietguy

Thanks Luck, I'll go through the link and see what they have to say.

Several years ago I bought an SCS PTC-IIex to have P3 backup email.  I live out in a more or less rural area, and rely on above-ground phone lines for DSL service - no cable TV out here.  At the time, cell phone service was limited to not much more than voice, so WL2K was a very viable fall-back position.  Actually, it still is, even though cellular digital service has made it out here... assuming the cell towers are still operational.  Another member of this group introduced me to the wonders of Pactor and the world hasn't been the same since.

I was unaware that the NTS had moved in that direction; I guess I should pay more attention.  While CW is a great mode, i am a big fan of the automated modes that only require an operator at one end.

Wally

s2man

Quietguy, at least you have DSL.  I use a booster with a yagi pointed at a cell tower near a highway, three miles away.  And that is iffy because they "turned the antenna toward a more populated area".  :-b

I gotta get me some of that digital stuff.  The USB sound card is ordered, and a query sent to EasyDigi creator concerning special orders.  Now, I need to get a Windows box, 'cause I don't think I want to wrestle with LINUX (non) compatibility while installing/learning new software.  Free Windows box is located, but will take a half day to go pick it up.  sigh.

WA4STO

Quote from: Quietguy on May 21, 2013, 10:26:49 PM
While CW is a great mode, i am a big fan of the automated modes that only require an operator at one end.

CW has always been my favorite.  The older I get, the more value I seem to put into being able to handle traffic in a way that most other radio amateurs can not.  It's one of the very few skills in life that I can get better and better at, as opposed to the alternative...

Even so, CW (and SSB) can not be relied upon to handle public service communications.  That demands ARQ and even the old style Pactor I does that just fine.

So I end up being an anachronism.  I finish up with my TCC sked (CW) and head on over to the NTS(D) MBO to pick off the Nebraska traffic on the Midwest Pactor hub.  Either one floats my boat OK.

WA4STO