El Cheapo 45 Watt Solar Kit Kicks Me Off The Fence!

Started by White Tiger, June 01, 2013, 12:33:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geek

Quote from: s2man on June 09, 2013, 01:03:58 AM
I found TTABS' thread (pre WA4STO's handy link) and read the whole thing. Well laid out description and a very nice system.  I was a bit taken back that he was dismantling and stashing it, but then realized it is a prep, not a lifestyle.  That thread led me to battery1234.com.  I listen to all of the podcasts (i.5hrs each!) and got a much better understanding of emergency power vs an off-grid lifestyle.  Its a great listen if you are interested in emergency power for lights, charging batteries, and running radios and small electronic gadgets.  He goes into bigger, more costly and flexible systems, but for about $150 you'd be living like kings compared to the neighbors sitting there in the dark with their dead iphones (or sewage backing up in the basement, like my neighbor).  I'd be happy to summarize if anyone doesn't want to listen to six hours of podcasts.

Of course, now I have as many new questions as I have answered ones. But I keep moving on and learning.

This level is what I am interested in.  I already have a natrual gas generator so a solar system would be a backup to a backup.

s2man

I'll take that as a 'please summarize' :-)

He suggests ya go to Walmart and get their biggest deep cell battery and a smart, 3-stage charger by Schumacker (or from amazon).  Put them in the basement, hook 'em up and forget about them.  And get a clamp-to-battery cigar lighter outlet and a one-to-three-outlets adapter.

When power goes out, bring the battery to the kitchen, hook up your LED light, charge your comm's (just cell phone to most folks ;-) and charge your AA/AAA batteries.  Don't worry about draining the deep cycle too low; Its an emergency.  If the battery goes dead after a couple of days, take it out to the car and charge it with jumper cables.

That's his basic plan.  Like I said, he builds from there.  But a little imagination could expand that to cover your specific needs.

Geek, a small battery setup would probably tide you over nicely between generator runs to power the fridge/freezer and recharge the battery.  Really cut down on generator time.

Frosty

Quote from: White Tiger on June 13, 2013, 11:34:20 AM
Just bought this Optima Yellow Top:

Quote from: Geek on June 13, 2013, 12:55:39 PM
I already have a natrual gas generator so a solar system would be a backup to a backup.

Batteries, auxiliary generators, and solar systems - whoa, just had a Star Trek flashback.

KIRK: Scotty, ...what's left?
SCOTT (on intercom): Just the batteries, sir. I can have auxiliary power in a few minutes.
KIRK: We don't have a few minutes. ...Can you give me phaser power?
SCOTT (on intercom): A few shots, sir.
SPOCK: Not enough against their shields.

The Optima's get great reviews, just don't expect to get more than a couple phaser shots before recharging.

White Tiger

Quote from: Frosty on June 15, 2013, 07:22:22 AMThe Optima's get great reviews, just don't expect to get more than a couple phaser shots before recharging.
I hear you - it's the most Ah for the money I had at the time - this is what is on my long range scanners:

Both are 232ah rated - but by the time I'm ready to get those...it will be time to either get serious about upgrading my solar panel system - or buy a NG generator...
If you're looking for me, you're probably looking in the wrong place.

WA4STO

Quote from: White Tiger on June 15, 2013, 12:02:47 PM
I hear you - it's the most Ah for the money I had at the time - this is what is on my long range scanners:

I see that the top one is an Interstate. 

But the bottom one, I can't quite tell; is that a Trojan?  Those puppies are well known. VERY well known.

And if so, is it a 6 volt or a 12 volt?

Luck, WA4STO
http://www.qrz.com/db/wa4sto

White Tiger

Sorry, I left that out - they are both 6v - would wire them in series to get the benefit of the 12v, deep cycle, 232ah.
If you're looking for me, you're probably looking in the wrong place.