Skeds for camping trip this weekend

Started by KK0G, June 13, 2013, 07:53:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KK0G

Well I'm heading home shortly and calling this trip a resounding
success so don't look for me on this evenings sked as I'll be on
the road. NWS is calling for 90% chance of severe t-storms
with possibilities of hail so discretion being the better part of
valor, I think I'll make a good judgement call and end early.
Even though it'll be sort of like cheating I'll try the morning
sked from home.

Full AAR when I get back but I did catch 9 trout?? guess
what's for supper tomorrow 😎
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety" - Benjamin Franklin

KK0G

WA4STO

Quote from: RadioRay on June 13, 2013, 10:38:12 PM

Naturally, you recognize Wes, RadioRay, Luck & Gil.  You are in very good hands . . .

Hey! Somebody cut off my beard!

KC9TNH

Quote from: KK0G on June 15, 2013, 07:10:23 PM
Even though it'll be sort of like cheating I'll try the morning
sked from home.

Full AAR when I get back but I did catch 9 trout?? guess
what's for supper tomorrow 😎
Given the monster that passed overhead & what's gonna be firing up thru night I'd say you made a genius decision. (I don't know about you but I'd like to find Patton's Chaplain and ask him to "restrain this immoderate weather with which he have had to contend.")

I'll be hanging around for the AM 40m sked.
Trout....mmmmmmmm.  :D
Browns, brookies or 'bows?

While you were having all the fun I was preparing to fill the hole on the desk for when I get the KX3. You can see the ESD mat to make things look really important, manual being studied, and appropriate tool set.
;D

gil

QuoteNWS is calling for 90% chance of severe t-storms
with possibilities of hail so discretion being the better part of
valor, I think I'll make a good judgement call and end early.

Good call! Lightning scares me, especially when I have a 40ft. wire up a nearby tree! I ought to learn more about lightning protection while camping, especially in this State... Glad you had a good trip. I could not hear you, but we could always communicate via Ray, or when propagation is exceptionally favorable.. We should try 30m when you get that module...

Gil.

KC9TNH

0817 CDT: No-joy. Heard someone in there but not copyable. Listening pre-sked band was nice till about 0750; typical up here. Just fired up a waterfall & it's got those nice sharp diagonal waveforms that mean it's in the toilet for a bit, it'll come good in awhile. 30 & 80 remain in good shape, just something about 40 early in the day during summer up here.

Humbug.
>:(

KK0G

I finally have a moment to sit at the computer to do an AAR, been pretty busy today, the XYL took me to lunch for fathers day then we ran a few errands, shopped etc. I did manage to pick up a few fresh lemons to squeeze onto my fresh caught trout for supper tonight which by the way was delicious!

I'll start with an apology, I was sound asleep for the sked this morning.......... sorry. Before heading home last night I stopped to see an old friend in Decorah, we had a few beers and started reminiscing, before I knew it it was 2300 and I had a 4 hour drive ahead of me. Consequently I didn't get home till three in the morning, suffice it to say I was tired this morning.

The fishing was good, I came home home with 9 trout which is one short of the possession limit, not too bad (3 rainbows and 6 browns Wes). I camped at Yellow River State Forest which is nothing short of amazingly beautiful, if I was blindfolded and dropped off there I would have sworn I was deep in the Ozark mountains, by far the best scenery I've ever seen in Iowa. The spring fed Paint Creek which is well stocked with trout flows through the center of the forest surrounded by shear vertical bluffs and steep, tall hills covered with hardwoods and cedar trees. It wasn't much of a backpacking trip, I only had about an eighth of a mile hike from the car to the campsite but then this was more of a fishing than a backpacking trip. On my last trip to Stephens State Forest, the campsites were located on top of high ridges which gave my signal a clear shot to the horizon, this time my campsite was well below the hilltops which as I said earlier were very high and steep. I believe this may have had an adverse effect on the ability of my signal to be heard. There were other primitive campsites available that according to the topo map would have been closer to the ridge tops but unfortunately they were considerably farther from the creek and its trout.

WX was great, Friday was sunny and warm with a high in the eighties, some light rain fell that night but my tent kept me bone dry. Saturday was mostly sunny and warm with a few light sprinkles in the afternoon which quickly cleared up. The severe t-storms predicted for Saturday night that drove me home early never materialized.......... such is life, better safe than sorry.

The KX1 with it's new paddles and ATU preformed great, I loved not having to pack a separate set of paddles and tuner, made set up much quicker and easier, switching bands was as simple as punching a couple of buttons. At the Friday PM 20 meter sked I heard Ray quite well at about 549, Gil was much weaker but still copyable at around 229. When we switched to 40 meters I could barely copy Ray, the static crashes made it extremely difficult. After I signed off I continued to monitor Gil and Ray's impromptu "QRPp experiment" and amazingly I was able hear them both until they signed off but admittedly at times it wasn't very copyable due to QSB. Unfortunately I didn't hear anyone on the Saturday morning 40 meter sked so not much to report there.

Thanks to everyone that tried to sked. While I wasn't exactly in a remote location being only an eighth mile from my parked car, we once again proved that if necessary we could have passed traffic over vast distances using nothing more than a chunk of wire thrown in a tree and a AA cell powered rig that I packed into camp on my back along with a full load of backpacking gear.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety" - Benjamin Franklin

KK0G

KC9TNH

Quote from: KK0G on June 16, 2013, 09:11:40 PMThe fishing was good, I came home home with 9 trout which is one short of the possession limit, not too bad (3 rainbows and 6 browns Wes). I camped at Yellow River State Forest which is nothing short of amazingly beautiful, if I was blindfolded and dropped off there I would have sworn I was deep in the Ozark mountains, by far the best scenery I've ever seen in Iowa.
Holy Smokes, Bullwinkle! You were closer than I thought. If we'd had some noise-free times you really could've strung a bunch of wire close to the ground & we could've worked. Every couple of years our bass club heads down to Prairie du Chien & have often wondered after looking at some maps of the IA side what might lie that way in terms of fish on points of some of the feeder waters. Gorgeous up in there. (Got me download the YRSF lit & maps.) With retirement coming I'll have to check that out, seriously. And 6 browns - niiiiice.   ;D

Believe me, band-wise this AM, you got a better deal with our eyes shut.

Thanks for the great AAR.  I'm gonna do a recon in a week or so when the kids go down to checkout Wildcat Mountain and see what it might have in the way of high-points hikable from their 'primitive' camping area.

KK0G

Quote from: KC9TNH on June 16, 2013, 11:13:30 PM
Quote from: KK0G on June 16, 2013, 09:11:40 PMThe fishing was good, I came home home with 9 trout which is one short of the possession limit, not too bad (3 rainbows and 6 browns Wes). I camped at Yellow River State Forest which is nothing short of amazingly beautiful, if I was blindfolded and dropped off there I would have sworn I was deep in the Ozark mountains, by far the best scenery I've ever seen in Iowa.
Holy Smokes, Bullwinkle! You were closer than I thought. If we'd had some noise-free times you really could've strung a bunch of wire close to the ground & we could've worked. Every couple of years our bass club heads down to Prairie du Chien & have often wondered after looking at some maps of the IA side what might lie that way in terms of fish on points of some of the feeder waters. Gorgeous up in there. (Got me download the YRSF lit & maps.) With retirement coming I'll have to check that out, seriously. And 6 browns - niiiiice.   ;D

Believe me, band-wise this AM, you got a better deal with our eyes shut.

Thanks for the great AAR.  I'm gonna do a recon in a week or so when the kids go down to checkout Wildcat Mountain and see what it might have in the way of high-points hikable from their 'primitive' camping area.

I'd highly recommend you check it out sometime soon Wes. I'd love to head back there when I can spend at least 3-4 days doing some serious backpacking -there are 25 miles of trails!- hopefully yet this summer or fall.

KK0G