Saturday morning

Started by KK0G, June 29, 2013, 10:10:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KC9TNH

Quote from: KK0G on July 01, 2013, 03:18:41 PM
24-30%!?! That'd be like heaven on earth!
No kidding, we got (or rather I USED to work at a place that had) evaporator fans going to full time some days trying to get it down that low for the non-human occupants of the building.

San Antonio and the Beltway area can be brutal - there is no money that would get me to return to either one.
At least at Lackland they had a static'd B-52 which provided some shade outside the building.

White Tiger

My sister in Phoenix sent me a picture of her cars digital thermostat - pegged at 118!

That whole "but it's a dry heat" kinda loses any effect - I think the body can't tell a lot of difference between 118 with 20% humidity... and 98 with 90% humidity...at that point, it doesnt matter if its a wet or dry hear - hot is hot...

But there's absolutely nothing like standing still and sweating, stepping from your front door to your front porch and having your glasses instantly fog up...

And to be swarmed by monster mosquitoes - alerted to fresh meat - with every exhale.

Oh well, at least the Q-Tips have gone home ;-)

Ahh, the "Sunshine State" in summa....
If you're looking for me, you're probably looking in the wrong place.

KK0G

Quote from: White Tiger on July 03, 2013, 06:12:34 PM
My sister in Phoenix sent me a picture of her cars digital thermostat - pegged at 118!

That whole "but it's a dry heat" kinda loses any effect - I think the body can't tell a lot of difference between 118 with 20% humidity... and 98 with 90% humidity...at that point, it doesnt matter if its a wet or dry hear - hot is hot...

But there's absolutely nothing like standing still and sweating, stepping from your front door to your front porch and having your glasses instantly fog up...

And to be swarmed by monster mosquitoes - alerted to fresh meat - with every exhale.

I've never experienced 118 F low humidity temperatures so I can't really compare. What I do know is that even at 118 F, evaporative cooling still works when the humidity is low, i.e. - sweating works. When the humidity is sky high sweating doesn't have much cooling effect, it just makes you sweaty, slimy, stinky and stick to vinyl like duct tape :P
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety" - Benjamin Franklin

KK0G

WA4STO

Quote from: KK0G on July 03, 2013, 08:01:33 PMit just makes you sweaty, slimy, stinky and stick to vinyl like duct tape :P

Hmm... after all these years, now I understand what my main squeeze was cryin' about.

Lots vinyl back there.  Yup, yup.

cockpitbob

I feel sorry for my 2 boys.  They are away at camps this week.  Typical, old school cabins with just screen windows.  Between the rain, heat and 100% humidity nights I'm going to have to scrape the mold off them with a putty knife before I let them in my car.

White Tiger

Quote from: KK0G on July 03, 2013, 08:01:33 PM
Quote from: White Tiger on July 03, 2013, 06:12:34 PM

I've never experienced 118 F low humidity temperatures so I can't really compare. What I do know is that even at 118 F, evaporative cooling still works when the humidity is low, i.e. - sweating works. When the humidity is sky high sweating doesn't have much cooling effect, it just makes you sweaty, slimy, stinky and stick to vinyl like duct tape :P

Yes...to that point...she has an evaporative cooling system that sprays a mist on the fan compressor just as the fans kick on. The intake puts enough humidity into the air that the AC unit actually works...

That's wanting it pretty bad...
If you're looking for me, you're probably looking in the wrong place.