Jeanne Socrates returns from her solo circumnavigation

Started by KC9TNH, July 10, 2013, 11:18:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KC9TNH

Pretty cool; copied some traffic from her at various times on MMSN. Combo of Marine & Amateur radio among other things, including WINLINK, taking emails at times then answering them via Amateur voice check-ins when part of her setup went belly-up.  Talk about a PACE plan.

Bravo Zulu!
Nunquam Desirere!

LINK: http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2013/07/08/jeanne-socrates-oldest-woman-sail-around-world-victoria_n_3560865.html

gil

Awesome! I think Ray was listening to her on 14300...

Gil.

RadioRay

Sailed around the world on a small boat, alone, unassisted, non-stop.   This was her third attempt. 

I first heard her on 14300 when she was in the southern ocean between Cape Horn and the Cape of Good Hope.  I heard her mention her maritime HF sked with another circumnavigator and so I would monitor there as well. I lost direst copy as she was approaching the Australian coast, but the 14300 crowd on the West coast were able to keep contact.  Het laptop died somewhere between there and Hawaii, so no more WINLINK radio e-mail.  Her position, course and speed was send by SSB voice from then onward utnil she reached B.C. Canada (home port), as I understand it.  Very impressive!  I only wish that she were conducting the skeds in Morse so that it would have been easier copy.

>de RadioRay ..._ ._
"When we cannot do the good we would, we must be ready to do the good we can."  ~ Matthew Henry

KC9TNH

Ditto here. 14300 is a great clearinghouse for that stuff, as well as the Pac Seafarer's Net that follows when MMSN folds up for the day. Folks out on the west coast with that beautiful salt-water mirror & a modest beam can work the whole ocean barefoot.

For those who may be interested in following other voyages of such import you can also go HERE and plug in the amateur call if they've been getting their position info uploaded or been doing it themselves. Where's Waldo kinda thing.

Ray & Gil: Yeah, in her environment Morse would've been lovely. Modest CW station on lower bands with very little power will get you from Alaska to Australia. For me the tone is slightly different.  CW hopping over a saltwater path actually has (to my muzzle-blasted ears anyway) a certain 'salty' quality to it versus that sine wave thing. Don't know if others hear that - maybe it's just me.

Again, nice job KC2IOV!
(she just pulled the excuse rug out from under some folks, eh?)
;)