Nanophosphate Lithium-Ion Batteries

Started by KC9TNH, August 13, 2013, 05:33:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KC9TNH

Once in awhile the KX3 group puts out a helpful link.

http://www.buya123batteries.com/ALM_12V7_p/400520-201.htm

The link above, after back-tracing to the company, appears to be their authorized re-seller. (They're out of West Chicago but I give 'em credit for at least saying 'west'.) The brochure and tech docs are also available at the above link for download.

These aren't cheap by any stretch. However, they appear to have some interesting features. The particular one linked here is actually a 4.6AH battery despite the naming convention; although its numbers seem to show it outperforms a traditional 7AH gel-cell. I also like that, because of its circuitry, it's less sensitive to charging rates and one could easily charge it at a faster rate with a variety of chargers and controllers. The care & feeding of SLAs is a bit more finicky if you want to keep them running at their best.

That circuitry has a price (besides the cost) and the size is still up around that of a 7.5AH gel-cell.  HOWEVER, the weight is LESS THAN HALF of my 5AH gel-cells and that really caught my eye. Having taken some measurements with the miserly KX3 on battery at various power settings, using typical CW duty cycles, the discharge curve tells me this thing could provide comms for a good long time and would not be finicky (up to 10A) about how you topped it up.

Again, kinda spendy.  If I didn't currently have a couple of 5AH gel-cells dedicated for the portable kit I might pick one up. Unknown if prices will come down.

Comments/thoughts invited, as there are some bohnafeiddy in-ga-neers around here who've probably forgotten more about batteries than I know.

DISCLAIMER:  Not affiliated with the company at all (unless they're reading this and would like to donate one for testing).