QRP CW does well.

Started by gil, September 21, 2013, 02:17:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gil

Usually I don't play the DX game, but sometimes it is good to see just how well you can do with a radio the size of a pack of cigarettes. Just to make sure those DX QSOs aren't a fluke. So tonight I took my MTR and eight almost fully charged (10.5V) AA cells; plugged in my PAR End-Fed and looked at the Reverse Beacon Network:
Quotehttp://www.reversebeacon.net/main.php
. When I saw a newcomer on 40m, I jumped on the frequency, which is fast with the MTR, since you key it in.. Four QSOs, the RST73 type, all in Europe! The furthest one being with Russia, 6200 miles away  :o (photo attached, times are EST). I didn't try to bust any pileups mind you, who cares.. The difference between 4W, 40 or 400 isn't a big practical obstacle. When a band is open, that's that.. I once reached Estonia on 1.2W, and that's 5200 miles, 4300mi/Watt!

You guys are probably tired of hearing me promote CW QRP all the time, but I am really convinced that there is nothing better when all else fails.

Learning Morse code is the most important life-saving skill a radio operator can learn.

Well, other than how to apply a tourniquet maybe  ;)

Even if you as a Ham are not interested in actually operating CW, do at least maintain a few words-per-minute proficiency. Get yourself a tiny rig like a Rock-Mite ($29, before Dave retires fully!): http://smallwonderlabs.com or something from http://qrpkits.com. Stuff it in your BOB with a dual-band HT and you're all set. Even if you carry a "small" SSB radio, you'll have a backup.. Frequency-agile rigs are much better of course, they just cost a little bit, and sometimes a whole lot more. You get what you pay for. If money isn't a concern, get a KX1. Don't forget a portable solar panel and batteries.

The most basic tools are often the ones that save the day. Complexity, high current draw, weight and size are the ennemy.

Gil.

KK0G

Quote from: gil on September 21, 2013, 02:17:10 AM
You guys are probably tired of hearing me promote CW QRP all the time, but I am really convinced that there is nothing better when all else fails.

Learning Morse code is the most important life-saving skill a radio operator can learn.

Yeah, I'm getting real tired of listening to you harping on about how CW at QRP levels is 13 times more efficient than SSB, works so well and how the QRP CW rigs are so small, lightweight, compact, inexpensive, easy to build, maintain and repair because of their relative simplicity and how they suck up so little power that you can power them for weeks on end with a hand full of AA's................. CW QRP is so much better than you give it credit for ;D

I know, here goes the CW QRP fan club............. again. But Gil's correct, it really does work as well as he describes.
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety" - Benjamin Franklin

KK0G

KC3AOL

BTW, if I get a Rock Mite while I wait for MTR radios to be available, which frequency or frequencies (they are pretty inexpensive) would you guys suggest? One in each band? All the available frequencies in 40m?

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 4

KK0G

Quote from: KC3AOL on September 21, 2013, 12:15:40 PM
BTW, if I get a Rock Mite while I wait for MTR radios to be available, which frequency or frequencies (they are pretty inexpensive) would you guys suggest? One in each band? All the available frequencies in 40m?

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 4

I'd recommend a crystal for 7.030 MHz which is the QRP calling frequency. For 20 meters the QRP calling frequency is 14.060 MHz.
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety" - Benjamin Franklin

KK0G

gil

QuoteI'd recommend a crystal for 7.030 MHz which is the QRP calling frequency. For 20 meters the QRP calling frequency is 14.060 MHz.

Yep, exactly that.. Though the frequency ends up being about 1kHZ lower...
There is the RM 30 too (10106).. So if you get a 20/40m rig later, you'll still have the RM for contest week-ends.

Gil.

raybiker73

Quote from: gil on September 21, 2013, 12:31:41 PM
QuoteI'd recommend a crystal for 7.030 MHz which is the QRP calling frequency. For 20 meters the QRP calling frequency is 14.060 MHz.

Yep, exactly that.. Though the frequency ends up being about 1kHZ lower...
There is the RM 30 too (10106).. So if you get a 20/40m rig later, you'll still have the RM for contest week-ends.

Gil.

Same experience here, my Rock-Mite is right around 7029.2. It's a great little radio though. I built a "shack in a can" that includes the Rock-Mite, Porta Paddles, a SOTA tuner, earbuds and a roll of antenna wire, all stuffed into an old Alwazah Tea tin. With a handful of batteries it keeps me busy all day.  :)

gil