Proud Owner of an FT-857D!

Started by RichardSinFWTX, December 13, 2013, 03:30:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WA4STO

Honey Dooze.  Man, you just HAD to remind me, didn't ya...

Was thinking of you yesterday.  I got the list of members over on the 'closed/private' Winlink network and I spotted the fact that you're a member there as well.

Not sure that you're aware of the GlobalSET that will be taking place this coming Spring.  Now that the Europeans have got an inkling of what kind of traffic loads can be generated at them, based on this past October's Simulated Emergency Test, it'll be very interesting to see if they're up for the rest of NTS to get with the program.  :)

Which leads to my question:  What modes can you use to generate traffic at this point?  I mean on-the-air.  If none, that's cool 'cuz you could always use Winlink off the air. 

So basically, it's a matter of whether or not you're interested.  I gather from the very clever responses I got from you in October, that you enjoy such a thing.  But how about the other nine bajillion hams that you know of in TX?  Want to get them sending stuff during the GlobalSET?  Maybe via you, maybe not.  Doesn't matter.

I think we can do some SERIOUS damage.  :)

Also, I learned that a number of the GBR and EU hams have kept weekly nets going and are anxious to receive traffic from the States.  If you want a list of them, let me know.

Best 73

Luck, WA4STO
ARRL A1-operator, BPL Medallion holder, circa 1977
VUCC Satellite (all CW)
NTS(D) Digital Relay Station, Central Area
NTS(D) Target Station, CAN, TEN & NE
TCC Station "Fox"

RichardSinFWTX

I might be able to do that.  I just got the radio the other day so I've got a pretty decent learning curve.  When's the GlobalSET?  Hit me up about it again a about a month or so out.  :)

madball13

Quote from: WA4STO on December 25, 2013, 01:19:43 PM

Was thinking of you yesterday.  I got the list of members over on the 'closed/private' Winlink network and I spotted the fact that you're a member there as well

I'm also a member of that private winlink network.

RichardSinFWTX

Shhhhhhhhhh...don't tell anybody!  ;)

medic photog

How's it going with the new rig?  Are you programming any repeaters in with or without the cable and software?

RichardSinFWTX

I've programmed a few repeaters and special frequencies into the radio manually; but it's a pain!  I do it now and then just to stay in practice.  I bought the software last week.  Definitely makes things easier.

I absolutely LOVE the 857D.  I string up an inverted-V in the backyard and tie into the house power with my PowerWerx 30A power supply.  All that's left is cracking open a cold one and my day is set!!

medic photog

Quote from: KF5RHI on February 19, 2014, 08:30:44 AM
I've programmed a few repeaters and special frequencies into the radio manually; but it's a pain!  I do it now and then just to stay in practice.  I bought the software last week.  Definitely makes things easier.

I absolutely LOVE the 857D.  I string up an inverted-V in the backyard and tie into the house power with my PowerWerx 30A power supply.  All that's left is cracking open a cold one and my day is set!!

I got the software right away but I've been programming repeaters into memory without it so far.  It's kinda like reloading, once you get the hang of the repetition it's not so bad.

RichardSinFWTX

The 857 will be permanently slaved to my laptop as soon as I can get the rack built for it; but still I'll do the occasional one manually.  Plus I've got the Nifty guide for that radio and my 8900.

medic photog

Quote from: KF5RHI on February 19, 2014, 10:17:42 AM
The 857 will be permanently slaved to my laptop as soon as I can get the rack built for it; but still I'll do the occasional one manually.  Plus I've got the Nifty guide for that radio and my 8900.

That is a sweet little book.  I use mine all the time right now.