Hello

Started by DogDidIt, December 30, 2013, 09:11:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DogDidIt

All,
New to the site so I wanted to say hello and just type a quick intro.
I got into ham radio strictly from an ecomms standpoint.
I've been doing SSB, a few digital modes that HRD can handle, and WL2K for a little while now.  Yahoo Groups and YouTube are your friend.
I've been learning CW and practicing a bit (off the air w/ a straight key).  I decided to make it my New Year's Resolution to pluck the chicken feathers off my legs and actually get on the air - and I did this afternoon.  Someone was nice enough to offer his time/expertise and set up a daily sked with me.  So that's where I'm at - looking forward to dedicated practice and, as I've seen folks say on this website, get to the point where you "own your skill".
DogDidIt

KK0G

Awesome! Congratulations on your new CW skills. Excellent idea setting up a sked, I'm a firm believer that real, live, on the air QSO's are by far the best way to hone your CW proficiency. Welcome to the forum.
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety" - Benjamin Franklin

KK0G

Archangel320420

Welcome aboard, Dog!

docnroz

Hello Dog - From one Newbee on the forum to another ...  ( Doc  here)
Got my license 25+ yrs ago - did ham radio for 5 years and let it slide ( loads of wallpaper) -- Getting back into it  .. Purpose of this Forum - SHTF/ Preppers  :'( ;)
I'm gearing up for QRP  CW & SSB.  Still have all the Kenwood boat anchors and linear amps etc -- but taking a new direction   :) :)
CW is a little rusty - but,  like riding a bicycle ...  it will come  back --
Doc

KK0G

Welcome as well Doc, glad to have you aboard.
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety" - Benjamin Franklin

KK0G

Joe

Welcome aboard DogDidIt, looks like your on the right track. Everyone around here is great !!!

DogDidIt

Thanks everyone  :)

RadioRay

DogDidIt ,

Great   :D  and welcome to the world of CW!  Morse is such an elegant and efficient form of communication. The daily sked is a formula that works, allowing you to transition from knowing the Morse characters, to conversing and soon, you'll 'own your skills'.  It's a mode that I simply ENJOY using. 

Both DogDitIt and Doc, it's great to have you on the forum. For fun, you have a look at Gil's TINY  "MTR" QRP rig where he was using it from a coffee shop with simple antenna.  We call this type of /portable operations "/java".  ha ha  You'll be amazed what it routinely done with a few Watts in CW with a rig that fits in a shirt pocket.

http://radiopreppers.com/index.php/topic,691.msg6501.html#msg6501

73 de RadioRay ..._ ._
"When we cannot do the good we would, we must be ready to do the good we can."  ~ Matthew Henry

gil

Yep, the daily sked is the best way to increase speed. I started with Ray at about 12wpm, now I'm at 20 on a good day... That and the CWOps classes I took, including practice sessions with other members. Nothing beats CW. We know that when CW is marginal, even with a few Watts, SSB is impossible. Besides, no SSB radio fits in my shirt pocket!  ;)

Gil.

TexasRadio

Congrats on the CW.

Welcome to the forum.

Still have to get my HF rig purchased and running.   :-\

DogDidIt

doc - I might be leaning that direction also - QRP CW - at least for an HF backup. 
ray - I didn't realize until now that that was gil.  kewl. regarding the end: hihi.
gil - were the CWOps classes on a particular website?

Thanks again everyone for the welcomes.

DogDidIt

gil

Quotegil - were the CWOps classes on a particular website?

see: http://cwops.org

There is also a great app for iOS called "Ham Morse," which helped me a great deal...

Gil.