Why So Few Kits above 20M?

Started by cockpitbob, January 25, 2014, 09:52:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gil

QuoteBut then, for about the same as a fully decked-out KX1 I could have a used FT-817.

It's not an easy decision. With the Tri-bander and the KX1, you get low current draw on receive. The FT-817nd I think burns 450mAh (Ray?), while the KX1 burns 50mAh! Huge difference. It indeed all depends on how much battery operating you'll want to do. The new tri-band MTR is supposed to come out in April as well, and I will try to get one. I doubt it will have 15m, but maybe 17m. It will barely be bigger than an Altoids box and have full coverage, DDS VFO on three bands. My two-band (40/20m) MTR burns 35mAh on receive! Personally, I would get a KX1 or the new MTR and a good VHF HT. This way you can listen to both at the same time..

Gil.

cockpitbob

Quote from: KK0G on February 17, 2014, 02:50:53 PM
Quote from: cockpitbob on February 17, 2014, 08:40:29 AM
I don't want to end up with 5 QRP radios, which is the direction I'm heading.
Resistance is futile, just let it happen. 8)
I tried to avoid it, but I think it's going to happen ??? .
I just bought a used 4-band KX1.  It was cheaper than the kit, but I just deprived myself of a build (not that I have time for that right now).  And it doesn't go above 20M.  I just blew half an hour of work time looking at other kits.  The Weber tri-bander in 20/17/15 or 40/20/15 really appeals, but what I really want is something in an Altoids case, so now I'm toying with getting a Rock Mite and making it run on 15m.  My dream would be I'm lucky enough to get the new MTR and it includes 15M.