160M

Started by madball13, January 27, 2014, 01:34:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madball13

I've been curious about adding 160 to the QTH and thinking about an end-fed sloper in a N/S config. The feed point would be about 10 feet up on the side of my house and the wire would continue up the hill in the back to whatever large tree i can get some paracord up and over.

Anyone have any luck with 160 w/o getting them 200 feet in the air?

cockpitbob

Sounds like fun.  Try it!
Even at 200' it's going to be an NVIS antenna.  Opinions vary, but I think anything lower than 1/3 wavelength will be mostly an NVIS antenna.  Unless your 40M flat-topped dipole is up over 40', it is an NVIS antenna, yet it probably gets around the globe pretty well.

madball13

Thanks Bob.

I had a conversation with a guy last night who i was trying to QSO with in MO on 40 and 80 and was having a hard time hearing him with my dipole. Recommended getting the center up as high as i can and he is even going to build and send me coils to add.

Archangel320420

Hi Mad,

I have been using a Windom at about 30 feet. It is 265 feet to length. I use an Icom 706mkII  at less than 100 watts SSB on 160 and do well with local guys within 100 to 200 mile radius or so. I have worked out to Pennsylvania and NJ once when the band was real good. I do not spend much time on 160 though. I only operate at night on 160.

Terry

Lamewolf

On 160 go with an inverted L with as much as possible in the vertical portion then the rest going out horizontal, then put out as many ground radials as possible and these don't have to be tuned radials either - 20 to 30 feet long will do just use as many as you can.  Works great !