MARS/CAP modification

Started by medic photog, February 07, 2014, 10:28:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

medic photog

I'm about to take the plunge and order a Yaesu 857-D.  An option I can get right off the bad is MARS/CAP modification.  Is it worth the fifty bucks to have the dealer do it?  What real benefit will I see from it?

gil

I don't know about the 857D, but I did it on my FT-270 handheld. I was just a matter of removing one SMD component. Not sure if it was a resistor or a diode... The operation was overly simple and took only five minutes... Just long enough for my soldering iron to warm up and heat up the component... Then I had to reset the handheld, which erased all memories and settings. Is it worth $50 for a 5 to 10 mins job? Well, not really... If you have a soldering iron and have de-soldered components before, you might as well do it yourself. Even without experience, if you can find a good description of the procedure online, it isn't hard to do. Apparently it's just a matter of removing some jumpers: http://ku4by.com/yaesu-857d-mars-mod/. Personally I would do it myself, but I have built whole radios before, so it is hard for me to judge how involved this might be for a novice... If you need to remove jumpers, make sure you use copper braid to absorb solder... Easily found at Radio Shack.

Gil.

KK0G

$50 to do a MARS/CAP mod!?!? :o
Apparently I need to start a business doing MARS/CAP mods - send it to me, I'll do it for $45 8) .

Of course in my opinion a MARS/CAP mod is about as useful as tits on a boar but as long as you can do it for free.
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety" - Benjamin Franklin

KK0G

medic photog

Quote from: KK0G on February 08, 2014, 08:52:09 AM
$50 to do a MARS/CAP mod!?!? :o
Apparently I need to start a business doing MARS/CAP mods - send it to me, I'll do it for $45 8) .

Of course in my opinion a MARS/CAP mod is about as useful as tits on a boar but as long as you can do it for free.

That's what I was thinking from the word go.  I'm good at soldering/desoldering and I don't know if I'd benefit from the mod.  Guess I'll save the bucks or put it towards some other goodie.

madball13

IMO the Mars mod is not worth $50. I would much rather spend the money on an upgraded mic with a keypad for your 857

RichardSinFWTX

Here's a YouTube video that shows you exactly what to do!

http://youtu.be/fc7wUtFLtus

A buddy of mine did it for me; but it works perfectly

RadioRay

I am used to having radios unrestricted.  The mod for the 857 is very straight forward for a person with a little electronics experience. The only concern is whether having it modified by other than a factory tech would void the warranty on a new radio.  Other than that - I fully agree with the statements here that you're better served by putting money toward things like filters and etc. and doing the mod privately.

73 de RadioRay ..._  ._
W7ASA
"When we cannot do the good we would, we must be ready to do the good we can."  ~ Matthew Henry

APX7000

I've dealt with Yaesu many times for my customers and warranty work.

Yaesu will repair a radio even if the customer performed the mars/cap mod and the radio is still under warranty.

Many Yaesu radios have optional filters that the customer installs themselves, which also doesn't void the warranty.

The only time Yaesu will refuse to honor the warranty is if the customers modification caused the radios failure.

Sorry to dig up such an old thread, but I felt it necessary to rely this information.

cockpitbob

Hi APX7000.  First, WELCOME to the forum :D .
Thanks for posting that.  Most of my gear is Yaesu and it's good to know they don't take every little excuse to not honor a warranty.
I also like "necrothreading" as it keeps all the information in one place.

APX7000

Thanks cockpitbob!  Glad to be here.

Galaxy Radio also will honor the warranty even if the radios been modified, as long as the modification didn't cause the radio to fail.

Ranger Radio is a different story, modify your radio and your warranty is gone.

BTW, Ranger Communications  manufactures the following radios;
Galaxy
Connex
Mirage
Verage
General Lee
SuperStar
Texas Ranger
...and others I forget right now

RadioRay

This thread has 'inspired' me to do a little rig surgery, likely this afternoon.  I have a new'ish IC-7200 which is hambands only. I had an experience many years ago where I was able to assist a vessel in distress because my home radio was 'open'.  I am licensed on the marine HF bands, and because this was a bonafide emergency with lives at stake, my actions were deemed proper.

So, time to heat-up the iron.  What could go wrong?

73 de RadioRay ..._  ._
"When we cannot do the good we would, we must be ready to do the good we can."  ~ Matthew Henry

KK0G

Quote from: RadioRay on October 25, 2014, 11:04:52 AM
This thread has 'inspired' me to do a little rig surgery, likely this afternoon.  I have a new'ish IC-7200 which is hambands only. I had an experience many years ago where I was able to assist a vessel in distress because my home radio was 'open'.  I am licensed on the marine HF bands, and because this was a bonafide emergency with lives at stake, my actions were deemed proper.

So, time to heat-up the iron.  What could go wrong?

73 de RadioRay ..._  ._

Just remember Ray that it's all about finesse; if something won't go, don't force it........ get a bigger hammer instead. 8)
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety" - Benjamin Franklin

KK0G

Anegada

Quote from: RadioRay on October 25, 2014, 11:04:52 AM
This thread has 'inspired' me to do a little rig surgery, likely this afternoon.  I have a new'ish IC-7200 which is hambands only.

Hi RadioRay, and all,

So how would I do this mod on a new'ish IC7200?  I've heard that you remove several diodes, and add two... I think that's old info though.
Thanks!