Frequency choices for regular "skeds(?)"

Started by NWARadio, March 24, 2014, 08:54:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NWARadio

I'm planning on being on the air this weekend around 6-9 pm CST. Not saying I'll be right on at 6, but between those hours. A few of us made contact last weekend and it made me think we need some set frequencies that we'll try regularly. That way, if someone wants to see if we're on they don't have to log on here, they can just check the frequencies and see if we're on. Should we choose multiple frequencies on multiple bands or just one frequency on a few different bands? Or should we just wing it like we did last week?
So long, and thanks for all the fish

RichardSinFWTX

I would say maybe three frequencies on two or three bands?  Band conditions may suck on one band or there may be other people using one of the frequencies.

Just my 2 cents though.

KK0G

You almost need a set time(s) to call and a standard frequency to begin on. If you have a large window of time with multiple frequencies it becomes a zoo very fast.

Here's what Wes and I do which has been extremely successful:

Starting at 0200Z  I call Wes on 7.037 MHz, if there's QRM I go up 1 kHz until the frequency is clear.
If we haven't established contact by 0205Z I call on 10.108 MHz with the same QRM countermeasures. If by 0210Z we still haven't made contact I do a final call on 3.534 MHz and at 0215Z we give up. It's worked out very well because we both follow the same standard procedure.
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety" - Benjamin Franklin

KK0G

John Galt

TAPRN has a list of suggested frequencies that might be useful to start:

https://www.teapartycommunity.com/forum/thread/1759/the-american-preparedness-radio-net-taprn/view_2034/

They only use a few frequencies but that list could certainly be expanded to include 80, 160, WARC bands etc.

NWARadio

I'm going to read the TAPRN page tonight. Looks like it might be a good place to start. I also like Gil's ideas.

madball13

check out:
http://www.amrron.com/

they have a comms plan template that would be worth filling out and sharing with your group

NWARadio

I think I'm going to donate 1.99 to that site and get their e-booklet. They also have a really neat sidebar thing that shows current day/night band conditions. I'd love to have that on my desktop.

KK0G

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety" - Benjamin Franklin

KK0G

NWARadio

KKOG, I had just added that to my qrz.com bio page so I always know where to go to see it. I also donated to the amrron site for the Communications SOI. Never hurts to have something extra to read.

RadioRay

I am a SECRET member of TAPRN , so don't tell anybody. 

TAPRN material found compiled into lists on other sites is generally out of date, often showing freqs & modes which have not been used in 1-2 years. I know this personally, because I am the person who began , then closed TAPRN data net for example.  TAPRN and The AMerican Redoubt Radio Operator's Network (AmRRON) merged a few months ago after the www.taprn.com website died from lack of sysop love.     :'(   The up-to-date information can be found at www.amrron.com in the 'nets' pull down.  That is all up-to-date-SCHTUPH right there!

KK0G is right-on with the fact that you need specific time, freqs and modes, because if too broad, it's going to be a miss. Once you have contact, you can QUICKLY tell the others to shift frequency. We do this all the time on skeds, because we KNOW exactly where to find the other person(s).

de RadioRay ..._ ._

"When we cannot do the good we would, we must be ready to do the good we can."  ~ Matthew Henry

NWARadio

I donated 5 bucks to amrron.com, but I'm still waiting on the download to be emailed to me. Not sure I'll be on this weekend. It's supposed to storm here, and the winds are already pretty high so I took my LDG vertical down. Right now an antenna isn't something I can afford to replace so I'll leave it on the ground until the high winds are gone. I'll update if I put the antenna back up and if I get the download from amrron. Back on subject: I like the idea of starting on one frequency at a set time and for a set amount of time and then moving to the next frequency. That way if I can't hear anybody for 5 minutes I can just move on instead of running and checking the forum. And if I can't hear anybody on any band, it'll be time to shut the radio off and go read a book or something.

John Galt

NWAradio, I'm thinking maybe that something regional would be the place to start with minimal participants.  Then when there is some level of established communication, add another participant which might mean changing bands to be effective.   The Sunday evening net on 3.818 is a good example in that apparently it's very useful regionally but I haven't been able to pick up much above the SNR.
My normal listening time is around 6:30 to 8 pm and I've noticed quite a change in the last few months.  In the dead of winter at those times, 40-80-160 were very active.  Now that the sun is up, the useful frequencies have definitely moved up.  Not to throw another wrench in but there may need to be a frequency or time shift to accommodate seasonal changes.

All that aside, whenever you feel like trying to start, I'm all over it!

KK0G

Quote from: John Galt on March 27, 2014, 10:16:16 AM
.............Not to throw another wrench in but there may need to be a frequency or time shift to accommodate seasonal changes.
Wes and I operate on 40 meters during summer and switch to 80 meters in winter. At QRO power levels it might be possible to bend poor propagation conditions in your favor slightly, but at QRP it's practically a requirement to follow the propagation as the seasons change.

KK0G

NWARadio

Im very interested in QRP and NVIS operation. Id like one of those little MFJ radios. Anyway, ive been on hf a little over a month now so Ill take direction from the folks who have more experience.

RadioRay

For me, if getting a single-band QRP rig, I'd want maximum FUN.  The 40 meter band is great because it is generally 'open to somewhere' day and night. For communication into your State and surrounding States during daylight and across the country at night and simple 'dipole' home made wire antenna or many of the guys here love their end few half wave wire antennas,  strung in the trees or out the window.  Do understand that we're assuming that you're using "CW" (Morse code) with these statements.  CW is very efficient and roughly 20 times as effective as a SSB voice signal for the same information transfer.

We'll be happy to help you, except for KK0G

- he's a MEAN feller!

73 de RadioRay ..._  ._
"When we cannot do the good we would, we must be ready to do the good we can."  ~ Matthew Henry