RF Noise Source Found

Started by RadioRay, November 08, 2014, 05:09:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RadioRay

I've had a source of local noise, but never really tried to track it. However, today I put-up a 'quickie' vee-beam pointed at a friend of mine and when I would switch form the Delta loop to the vee-beam, the noise jumped from S2 to S8!  Several things crossed my mind (Martinis, dancing, becoming Emperor of Earth, a new KX3!!!) however, there was something else - a major difference in the two antennas: location.

1.  The vee-beam terminated near power lines.

2.  The vee-beam passed over the house.

3.  The Delta loop is away from the house and the powerlines.

I decided that it would be better to test the house first.  Seems that the local power company thinks poorly of people who drop the power grid to check for radio frequency interference - at least that's my impression.  So, I tuned to an open spot on a noisy band and began turning breakers off.  When I reached the living room breaker, the RF noise went from S8 to S-unreadable on the meter.  Aaaaah!  Long story short, the family computer system is served by that breaker.  I powered back ON and the noise came back.  It turned out to be the Linksys wifi box, making all that noise!

Now, my RF noise level is basically zero, because it's not merely the remoteness of the old antenna system from the house helping, but the source is DEAD, DEAD, DEAD!

Reminds me of a merry tune from 'How The Wizard of Oz SHOULD Have Ended':

http://youtu.be/munbt8qpCiQ?t=27s

Enjoy,

de RadioRay ..._  ._
"When we cannot do the good we would, we must be ready to do the good we can."  ~ Matthew Henry

KK0G

So I assume you're just gonna leave that breaker off and problem solved? 8)
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety" - Benjamin Franklin

KK0G

RadioRay

Well, I couldn't find it to turn it ON now if I wanted to: it's too DARK in here!    ::)

>RR

Ps.  Was that you with the rifle in the youtube video???

"When we cannot do the good we would, we must be ready to do the good we can."  ~ Matthew Henry

EmptySpaces

Soooo, for the family to get there WiFi fix it's off to McDonald's? No?
I smell a mutiny brewing...

KK0G

Quote from: RadioRay on November 08, 2014, 06:31:43 PM
Ps.  Was that you with the rifle in the youtube video???

Wrong rifle, but yeah, that pretty much sums up my feelings towards Hollywood in general. Those stupid horror movies with the psycho chasing the group of stranded vacationers through the woods and killing them one by one drive me up the wall.......... my god, does no one in Hollywood land carry a gun other than action heroes and bad guys?!?! Shoot the inbred 6 toed son of a bitch!! 8)

Rant mode off.
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety" - Benjamin Franklin

KK0G

RadioRay

KK0G - True - 'horror movies' would be short and with a happy ending 'no repeat offenders'.    :)

Empty - Oh, I know better than that.  I'll dig through my stuff and find another wifi box to put in it's place. In the meantime, I'll plug it in when my lovely and talented Wife  :-*  is home.

>RadioRay  ..._  ._