Weber MTR

Started by KK0G, April 21, 2014, 09:59:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NWARadio

I've bought an SMT learners kit off of Amazon, you might've seen the pic on Facebook. What size iron did you use? I'm very new to this and want to buy a smaller one if I need to.

So long and thanks for all the fish.

So long, and thanks for all the fish

KK0G

Quote from: NWARadio on May 03, 2014, 12:30:54 PM
I've bought an SMT learners kit off of Amazon, you might've seen the pic on Facebook. What size iron did you use? I'm very new to this and want to buy a smaller one if I need to.
This is what I use: http://yihua-soldering.com/product-5-4-constant-temperature-soldering-station-en/147699

They're all over eBay and Amazon for around $60. You'll need a very small needle tip but not much power for doing SMT which works well since the Yihua can easily change tips and maintain a constant temperature so it doesn't burn the tip up.
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety" - Benjamin Franklin

KK0G

KK0G

She's done! What very little I've played with it, it seems to work well although I haven't even ventured into the menus yet.

The only modification I made was to substitute a BNC connector in place of the provided RCA so that it will match all my other rigs, tight fit but not difficult at all. The only other modification I'd like to do is to change the power connector to the QRP standard 2.1mm so that once again it matches all my other rigs and batteries. That one might be a little tougher but I bet I can get it shoehorned in there somehow ;D .
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety" - Benjamin Franklin

KK0G

KC3AOL

Nice. I'm hoping to get started on mine in about two weeks... if my magnifier glasses show up before then.

Sent from my Venue 8 Pro 5830 using Tapatalk

KK0G

Quote from: KC3AOL on May 04, 2014, 06:21:09 AM
Nice. I'm hoping to get started on mine in about two weeks... if my magnifier glasses show up before then.
Yes, you'll definitely need them, I have excellent eye sight and I still needed a magnifier.

KK0G

gil

Hello, what kind of BNC did you use? The flange type or regular?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KK0G

Quote from: gil on May 04, 2014, 10:39:22 AM
Hello, what kind of BNC did you use? The flange type or regular?
I used a standard threaded bulkhead type connector. I wouldn't bet there's enough room for a flanged connector, the threaded one ends up being very close to the edge of the enclosure.

I thought about filing out the hole to make flats for the connector to engage to prevent it from turning in the hole, but instead I just drilled it out and torqued the hell out of the nut........ suffice it to say it's tight, I don't think it's going anywhere. ;D

KK0G

gil

Looks good. That's what I did for mine. Any contacts yet?

Gil.

KK0G

Quote from: gil on May 04, 2014, 11:18:52 AM
Looks good. That's what I did for mine. Any contacts yet?
Made a few contacts, no exotic DX, just stateside.

One thing I've noticed, and maybe you can provide some input since you have quite a bit of MTR experience, is that the keyer sounds sort of "funny" as if the weighting or ratio is off. It sounds normal when it annunciates characters from the menu or frequency read back, etc., and it sounds normal when sending via the memories. It only sounds wierd when I'm keying with the paddles and of course I'm only hearing it through the sidetone. Does yours do that?

KK0G

gil

QuoteOne thing I've noticed, and maybe you can provide some input since you have quite a bit of MTR experience, is that the keyer sounds sort of "funny" as if the weighting or ratio is off. It sounds normal when it annunciates characters from the menu or frequency read back, etc., and it sounds normal when sending via the memories. It only sounds wierd when I'm keying with the paddles and of course I'm only hearing it through the sidetone. Does yours do that?

No, I have never heard anything like that.. I saw yout post in the Yahoo group. Has anyone said they experienced the same? The keying circuit is probably the same as mine.. Maybe a faulty component..

Gil.

KK0G

Wes was out of town for a couple of days so tonight was the first time I tried out the MTR during our nightly sked............. wouldn't you know it, band conditions on 40 meters was in the toilet. We both went through our prearranged  QSY routine and ended up making contact on 80 meters, but alas my MTR doesn't do 80 meters so I had to switch to my K2.  :( Oh well, I'll try again tomorrow night.

KK0G

KC3AOL

My magnifiers showed up yesterday, so I'm planning to get started on the build next Friday.

Sent from my Venue 8 Pro 5830 using Tapatalk

KK0G

Quote from: KC3AOL on May 06, 2014, 07:10:19 AM
My magnifiers showed up yesterday, so I'm planning to get started on the build next Friday.
Just get a good pair of tweezers (I commandeered a pair from the XYL........ she hasn't noticed............yet ;D ), the finest needle tip you can find for your iron, slap those magnifiers on your head and go for it. It really wasn't a difficult kit at all, just different since it was my first time with SMT. Good luck.

KK0G

gil

I'd suggest anyone to wait before soldering the processor, since there is a timing glitch in the firmware! Not a show-stopper, but annoying. Steve said he didn't think it was important enough to replace everyone's processor, but I suspect a lot of people are going to be unhappy about this.. He might have to offer a processor replacement or flashing service. Someone else with a programming device might do that as well, we'll see...

Gil.

KC3AOL

Looks like he is going to send out new processors.  Hopefully I will get it before next Friday.