Philippine License

Started by daveleonard, May 15, 2014, 05:53:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

daveleonard

If you plan to go to the Philippines to live be sure and keep your American License up to date and renewed so you can avail of the reciprocal agreement that is in force. If you don't, you will need to start over and try to get a Philippine license. For me this has proven nearly impossible. I was a ham in the States for ten years. I know my ham stuff, at least what it takes to pass the FCC exams. But over here the tests are intentionally difficult, even for the entry level exam. Out of 100 plus people who took the test only seven passed. I was not one of them! The test was all about math and equations. It is clear to me now after taking the Amateur Radio exam that the NTC does not want new amateurs in the country, foreign or not. When only seven of over 100 plus pass the exam there is something wrong the  exam. One thing I know for sure is that the NTC throws so many unnecessary math questions out there that only math majors or engineers need apply.  This is wrong on so many levels. It violates the Amateur spirit and confirms in my mind that the government exercises inordinate control over every aspect of Philippine life. Is it any wonder that folks do not register their equipment with the NTC? Is it any wonder that folks use ham equipment without a certificate? This reminds me of the Marcos days. You can call this "sour grapes"  or a "sore loser" if you want but a country of this size should have more than a couple thousand hams in it.
The NTC offers reciprocal license with the US but don't even try to get a Philippine license on your own by hard study. Instead of publishing the question pool as the FCC does in the US the NTC keeps the question pool a secret because it does not want to promote Amateur Radio but make it an exclusive club. I was a ham for ten years in the States with morse code training and have made thousands of contacts yet when I come to the Philippines I find the NTC is out of step with the rest of the world! Go to www.binisaya.do/exam.htm which is supposed to be the questions that appear on the NTC exam and you will find that it is not at all true. No matter how hard one studies the NTC will make sure very very few people get to join the "CLUB". It is a shame and disgrace. The citizens are not even allowed to use CB radio here legally. It was outlawed back in the 1970's.

David Leonard
former KD4HOL