GPS Degradation During X Class Solar Flare

Started by RadioRay, June 14, 2014, 12:58:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RadioRay

The Noon Site is the easiest and is quite accurate for both latitude and longitude if you have accurate time. It was the same method used on the Lewis and Clark expedition to explore The West.

In their day, they poured mercury into a tray and use that as a mirror surface.  Today they sell a tray that you fill with water, with maybe a bit of water on the surface.  It have a glass filter/wind block top.

My sextant is an old U.S. Navy Mk V  aircraft sextant with both an internal bubble,

--used in aircraft and the bubble can be switched out of the view so that you can use the sea surface as a horizon. I also used to have a GREAT , Soviet CHO-T  sextant.  When I was clearly no longer able to even be on a blue water boat, I sold all but my Navy aircraft sextant, so that I could still practice' on land.

I have several pounts of books on celnav.  The BEST, that I recommend is my favorite becuase it's designed for just-in-case and so it strong of WHY things work: Emergency Navigation.

http://www.amazon.com/Emergency-Navigation-Improvised-No-Instrument-Methods/dp/0071481842/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1403025653&sr=8-1&keywords=Emergency+Navigation

While focused on navigation at sea, it's a must even for those who love and only need, land navigation.

73 de RadioRay ..._ ._
"When we cannot do the good we would, we must be ready to do the good we can."  ~ Matthew Henry

vwflyer

QuoteThe BEST, that I recommend is my favorite becuase it's designed for just-in-case and so it strong of WHY things work: Emergency Navigation.

That looks like a good book. If I order it along with the long term almanac suggested by Wally I can get free shipping on both :)

I've been keeping my eye out for a Mk V sextant or similar on ebay but have yet to see a suitable one. It would be a bit tricky using one in a C-206 but it'd be fun to try.  :D

Quietguy

Quote from: RadioRay on June 17, 2014, 01:23:21 PMThe BEST, that I recommend is my favorite becuase it's designed for just-in-case and so it strong of WHY things work: Emergency Navigation.

http://www.amazon.com/Emergency-Navigation-Improvised-No-Instrument-Methods/dp/0071481842/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1403025653&sr=8-1&keywords=Emergency+Navigation

I have that book... maybe I should take it off the shelf and actually read it.  I think I bought it when I bought the 50 year almanac.

Wally

Luigi

Was the signal degradation really that bad? Up here in the Northwest, my GPS performed normally without incident. It was expected that more issues would erupt. I cannot say as I was not on my radio during the solar storm.

RadioRay

"...was the signal degradation really that bad?"

Oh yes - absolutely.  Loosing lock, jumping position and changing directions several times per minute.  This was a good lesson in how complacent I had become by trusting the phone/GPS for my maps. I now have that State topographic gazetteer for the car as a just in case measure.  It's also fun to pour over maps when planning trips.

As for the celestial navigation, it's just good fun.  I probably won't be taking my noon sites while hanging out the sun roof , then calculating the direction and speed to bring all my sites together for location.   ha ha  Fun, but not likely. However, when I was headed off-shore: absolutely, because:

"We're only one lightning strike away from the age of sail."

>RadioRay ..._  ._
"When we cannot do the good we would, we must be ready to do the good we can."  ~ Matthew Henry