Bitcoin donations to: 1CE9UfWJcHBYkWPns7iqBqZgKhd5xfqEaM thanks!
Buy Bitcoins easily by clicking HERE and get $10 in free bitcoins!

Author Topic: What do I need?  (Read 7642 times)

crash54

• SMeter: +1/-0
    • View Profile
Re: What do I need?
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2014, 03:21:52 PM »
The FT-857D is a solid choice. I am on my 2nd one, as I let someone talk me out of my 1st one. I also have an FT-897D in a pelican case with power supply, cables, HF antennas and other assorted stuff for a run-away station.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RangerMobile

« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2014, 05:28:58 PM »
The thing is, I am all new to this and like others when starting out it's a bit overwhelming. Trying to do my best with what I have and learning as I go from research. I'd really like to get with someone to "show me the ropes," as I have done everything myself so far.

Anyway I have the FT-857D along with an LDG YT-100 Tuner. Powerwerx Supply, LDG FTL meter for the 857. and an external speaker. Ran a loop antenna in my attic and am now installing a Diamond x50 with LMR 400 for my 2nd antenna.

I have picked up 11 states on the 40 meters ( just listening ) Don't have my license yet. So I believe my loop antenna is working fine.

If there are any other suggestions, I'd welcome all.

Thanks. 

RichardSinFWTX

• SMeter: +8/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2014, 09:18:31 AM »
First, get your license.  At least Technician level preferably General!

As far as antennas go, I like my 6m - 40m endfed from KX3Helper.com.

An alternate power source isn't a bad idea either.  You've got a setup so far though.

KC3AOL

• SMeter: +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2014, 10:05:53 AM »
I would say definitely General. That 857 will be very under-utilized with just a Tech license since most of HF is General/Extra-only territory.

Sent from my Venue 8 Pro 5830 using Tapatalk

medic photog

« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2014, 10:08:57 AM »
You'll like the 857, I have one and also their vx8 ht.  I'm at the tech support level but studying for general. I run the 857 as a base with the Yaesu power supply and also as a mobile unit. I'm just starting to feel comfortable enough to play on some ht bands, I've been on 2M and 70 cm since I got my ticket last December. If my cash flow improves I plan on getting a second 857 so I don't have to move the one back and forth. I'm also looking at an end feed wire for multi band use with a tuner at the residence.

medic photog

« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2014, 10:34:50 AM »
I'm also considering the 817 as a pack unit, like a squad RTO would carry, with the addition of a solar panel recharge system.

RichardSinFWTX

• SMeter: +8/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2014, 12:21:47 PM »
This guy has a pretty decent setup built around an 817.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIquQ2JM_18